Ok Peeps, I have called Honda George Whites and the tech told me that there is two Possibilities that it could be on this type of bike (VFR800 1999).
There is a PCB behind the dash that gets cacked in crud as it is open to the wild and crud gets up onto it from the front wheel, this causes a poblem with the connections.
Next it could well be the Reg/Rec again, as it looks as though the garage that fitted it put on a non standard part, as the real macoy cost about £200 from Honda and I paid £75 with fitting.
So they gave me a test to do which is to run the bike and put a volt meter on the batt terminals and see if it come out with 14 - 14.5v.
Now I forgot to ask is this with the lights and stuff on or with everything off?? :-?
I did the test just now and with the lights and all off it comes out at 14 - 14.5v no worries, but with the lights on it maxes at about 13.89v and drops even further if I slap the heated grips on as well.
Any ideas if my readings are right or not??
I have not had chance to look at the PCB yet as I have been painting the Lounge today and left it until it was getting dark to look at the bike.