Well, I decided I needed some refresher work as I am out on a new bike and despite trying to get together to do some riding work GB and I were unable to. We live over 30 miles apart and despite GB's best efforts either the weather changed or my fitness problems or time constraints etc seemed to prevent us meeting up. So I decided to book a course with a local company http://www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk as they do a 1 to 1 ‘Saferider’ training course.

I decided I needed a spot of professional assistance as I haven’t really done anything since I passed my test in the 80’s apart from Bikesafe with Wiltshire Police last May. It seemed appropriate to do it now as I am really only just getting back into the swing of things after my off last July. I have only done a couple of hundred miles over the last two months or so due to my fitness – or should I say lack of fitness. I am still getting used to a new bike with totally different characteristics. I wrote off a 2004 Bonneville and now have 2006 FZ1 – only very slightly different!!

I found working with Mark very useful, he is approachable and friendly, explains things very well and also has a good fund of interesting stories to illustrate his points. He is also keen to hear your views and enter into discussion about any aspect of biking. Via an earpiece, Mark gave directions as well as a commentary on what he was doing and why when he was leading, and also gave a commentary when I was leading. I found this gave a really useful comparison to what I was noting or doing compared to him. Overall I was pleased with my performance and it was good to get an independent and structured view of my riding skills.

I found the whole day a really useful refresher/reminder as to what I was doing and why along with pointers on how to improve a few things to make for smoother safer riding. I have to say Mark was absolutely brilliant and the course was just what I needed. I really liked the way he works with you and would highly recommend him. Although the website really only shows training to pass the test, they also offer Saferider, which is what I did and this is tailored to suit what you want to achieve.

BB