Notices

Thread: Cornering tips

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1. Re: Cornering tips 
    Some great tips adn advice here certainly, my own views will pretty much sum up whast already been said, but I'm gonna dd them anyway as differnt points of view make more sense to different people.

I try and get to know the people I am riding with, find out what their abilities and skills are, and how I think they compare to mine, and of course what type of bike they ride plays a factor. When riding in a group this can prove to be very important, it will give you some idea of when a bike in front or behind you will try an overtake or some other manouver, and make you more prepared

I know some people who ride like a bat out of hell, on a sports bike, i know that they will take a corner faster and better than me on my FJ, so if I am following them the information I get from them is pretty much reference only, more so if I don't know the road. I know they can out ride me, even if I was on the same bike. So if I am gaining on them approaching a corner, I am probably going a tad fast, and back off, but thats about it, I knwo they will take that corner much faster than i will and their bike will play a good part in allowing them to do that, as it will handle better than mine.

If I am following someone on a smililar bike, who has similar or slightly better skills, and they are pullign away from me, I know that I am probably safe to increase my speed around bends somewhat, but you always have to factor in that if you are following someone and using them as a guide, if they overcook it, you stand a good chance of doing the same.

At the end of the day, if you're not confident to race or keep up with another bike, then don't do it, its really not worth it.

The only good way to improve is to practice as much as you can in all weather conditions, attend things like bike safe, and get some advanced training.

Some of the best riders I have seen ride sports tourers, and have done advanced training, and they ride SMOOTH, and when you get that right you maintain a improved overall speed, and they are able to keep up easily with the 'faster bikes' with out all the effort, heavy braking and acceleration.

Without embarrassing people, watch how Dave rides his FJR1300, even with Meike on the back, its always a smooth ride to watch and he maintains a good progress, no excessive braking (unless in emergency), I have to say that I am always impressed when I see him riding, and I admit that Dave is a rider that inspires me to ride better, I really like his style, and he's a great chap to boot!

But no matter what, never ride above you ability, confidence or the bikes abilities, sure use other people to get tips and ideas from, but always ride your own ride, and only push yourself when its safe for you to do so, and you are confident enough. Ignore speed, go for smoothness of ride, and you will find that your cornering and overall riding will improve vastly.

I can highly recomend getting some ROSPA or IAM advanced training, its suprising how much it can help, and you also get discounts on your insurance if you hold one of those certificates.
    Don't get confused between my personality and my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are...

2. Re: Cornering tips 
    Wow Hunar... Thank you for that amazing compliment - I'm completely gob smacked. There are many many people who I consider to be far more capable riders than me and who can out ride me any time so I hope my riding won't be too scrutinised on a ride out lol. I will never stop learning about riding bikes and I will certainly never feel for myself that I'm good enough but really, thank you.

3. Re: Cornering tips 
    ONFIRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav
    There some good advice here, so really bad advice and alot of what should be common sence anyway...

TBH ride for yourself not anyone else, if you feel you are at your limits with what you know and are not willing to learn to push a little harder then stay that way, however if you feel that you want to improve you riding for speed/safty then there alot of ways to go about it, take the advice offered herem but bear in mind this is what other people find works for them and may not work for you. Anyone with a few years experiance should have good road craft anyway, as in should know how to read the road and what the road conditions should be like, if you dont then learn this first as this will improve your safty no end, If its your bike control that you feel is letting you down then getting some time in with a good instructor would do no harm at all, it does not need to be a paif instructor, just someone who you think has good bike control and most importantly can communicate to you how to control a bike and what makes it do what. Track days will help with your cornering, but can be an expensive way to go. Most importantly enjoy yourself.

Iceman, if im free one sunday, il go out with you at a pace your happy with and work on ya bike control and road position, im pretty sure i can pick up where your going wrong and work on it from there, give me a pm if ya interested......oh and dont listen to ONFIRE, it'll all end in tears....lol

Gav
    Only when the bike is stationary in a car park! :-/

Iceman You'll be fine with Gav great safe rider, just don't attempt to race him he's freaken quick!! or it will end up in :'( for sure ;D ;D ;D
    8-)

4. Re: Cornering tips 
    Platinum Member
    Gav,I'll take you up on your offer when you're free mate.Thanks! I live in Peatmoor,near the Chinese Experience. Where's your 20?

5. Re: Cornering tips 
    LOL check ONFIRE with the compliments, what you after now, more things to fit i take it...lol

Iceman i live in town and should be out this weekend on sunday if the weather stays good. You Have seen me, im the young good looking chap from Bike Treads(see what i did there lol)
    If ya fancy hookin up and going for a bimble gimme a shout at gav_trueman@hotmail.com and well sort summin out.

Gav

6. Re: Cornering tips 
    ONFIRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav
    LOL check ONFIRE with the compliments, what you after now, more things to fit i take it...lol

Iceman i live in town and should be out this weekend on sunday if the weather stays good. You Have seen me, im the young good looking chap from Bike Treads(see what i did there lol)
    If ya fancy hookin up and going for a bimble gimme a shout at gav_trueman@hotmail.com and well sort summin out.

Gav
    Young Lol! You starting up a dating agency Gav

Ok tad younger than me : ;D ;D

7. Re: Cornering tips 
    lol yeah and always will be younger than you...

8. Re: Cornering tips 
    Platinum Member
    Gav, Sunday sounds good mate! Will email you later.

9. Re: Cornering tips 
    Platinum Member
    Found that the Sunday Poole rideout really helped my cornering no end. Following the other riders really improved my confidence in my own ability and the bike. Can't recomend rideouts enough now!

10. Re: Cornering tips 
    Sue600
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman
    Found that the Sunday Poole rideout really helped my cornering no end. Following the other riders really improved my confidence in my own ability and the bike. Can't recomend rideouts enough now!
    Glad you had fun and found it useful... find its helpful going a bit further afield, much more time to settle down and relax. (was a fun day out) ;D