Notices

Thread: Cornering tips

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
  1. Re: Cornering tips 
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabz
    I find that some days are better than others with corners too - sometimes I can fly round them with a good lean, others I seem to lose it completely and wobble round :P
    Ah, the good day/bad day syndrome lol. Some days you're 'in the zone' and others it's nowhere to be found. Think it happens to us all lol.

Speaking of which, has anyone seen the plot lately? ;D

2. Re: Cornering tips 
    Sue600
    Nope, lost it ages ago! :

3. Re: Cornering tips 
    Sue600
    Quote Originally Posted by ONFIRE
    [quote author=schwee link=1214323301/15#22 date=1214988741]when following, you are able to go faster because the person in front is telling you where the corner goes before you can actually see it.

If they brake, you know you probably oughta (unless their not that confident either)
    You're joking : 8-)

Depends if you know the rider & their abilities… personally I ride for myself, I agree it can inspire a little confidence, But following someone into a corner who is obviously a lot quicker is not a particularly good idea as you might not come out the over side. (Red Mist syndrome)

Best place to improve on cornering skills is on the Track, with a capable instructor. Plus not so many objects to hit!
    [/quote]
    Tend to agree with you Tim, found my confidence on corners on the track not the road. Improved my road riding alot, but I much prefer to practice without cars,road markings, potholes etc - and a surface that gives you really sticky tyres. Not on rubbish gravel covered corners, blocked by hedges, huge potholes and cars cutting corners trying to take you out - gotta enough to concetrate on ta LOL ;D Only tend to stick on corners with people I know are responsible/safe (whatever you like to call it) and then I'm still aware that hazards may develop after the first rider has come out the corner (funny how some car drivers presume bikes are on their own, and couldnt possibly be a second one following)

4. Re: Cornering tips 
    I didnt do my first track day for 2 years after passing my test. It wasn't top of my agenda because I loved the challenges of the road. Knowing that you've read the road right and taken a corner smoothly, then hit that roundabout perfectly and mastered all the overtakes....

There's just something about road riding, which on a good run (empty roads, sticky tyres, clean dry roads) nothing can beat.

Then there's trackdays - TOTALLY different. Fast, tiring, full on, adrenaline, with nothing else to worry about except you and your bike (and the odd numpty but at least their either overtaking or being overtaken)

By the sounds of it Iceman you know your abilities already and are sensible when it comes to advice people are offering. I know that I didn't need to spell out on my earlier post that you shouldn't follow someone who far exceeds your ability...jeez :-/

What I was saying is from experience. I ride a lot quicker following my OH than I do if i'm leading. If he is at the right distance in front, I use him as my vanishing point - as we'll be travelling at the same speed around the same bend, so helps me corner more efficiently.

TBH this isn't the first time I've been shot down in flames... :-[

Over the past few days I've posted some great advice, explained in full, offering help to the questions posed. We all have different experiences and advice, but that's all it is - advice. If people want to take that advice and put it into practice, then so be it, thats what's great about being a biker - you can try different things and different styles until you find your own - which you can then pass on as advice to others

5. Re: Cornering tips 
    I think the point schwee made is very valid (but perhaps not stated well). Just like everything else around you, the vehicle in front is giving you information and you should consider this information with every other. Certainly if you see a vehicle in front disappear round the corner without braking it is a reasonably safe bet that you don't need to slow either. If that vehicle is another motorcycle and you can also see how far they're leaning etc. then the info is even more valid. However you should make your decision taking into account all other factors including your own feelings, ability and confidence, both in the decision and your capabilities. Basically, it's just another piece of info that can help you make the right choice for you. Always, no matter what the circumstances or who you're with, ride for yourself.

Regards,

6. Re: Cornering tips 
    I think the point being made was when road riding everything around you can potentially give you information. For instance -

- You are following another bike / car and you see there brake lights it would be a fair assumption there is a hazard ahead.

-You are following a bus and you notice a passenger stand up. Perhaps the bus will be slowing down and stopping to let the passenger off shortly.

-Passing parked cars and you spot a person in one of the cars wing mirror. Has that person seen you? Are they just about to open the car door and get out?

There are loads of little ways you can help yourself but you have to be very aware of what is happening around you at all times.

The information is there, it’s what you do with it that counts

Ride safe and ride for yourself. Don't ride outside of your comfort zone to keep up with others.

7. Re: Cornering tips 
    whatever you do dont brake with the front mid corner as the bike will stand up and you will end up on the other side of the road.
    throttle down,lean more (you will be suprised how far you can go over)or feather the rear brake

8. Re: Cornering tips 
    Sue600
    There's some great information been posted up here. Talking to some, I find people may have different ideas and approaches to learning to ride better, some things work for some and not others. Tend to go with what works for me, feel safer trying out new things in an environment I feel safer, whether on the track or on a decent familiar road at a quiet time. Would rather ride a slightly slower but fun and relaxed ride on the roads, and leave the pushing beyond my comfort zone to elsewhere if I can. ;D

9. Re: Cornering tips 
    ONFIRE
    TBH this isn't the first time I've been shot down in flames... :-[[s]
    Oi my name is ONFIRE [/s] ;D ;D ;D ;D 8-)

Seriously Great report Shelley :-* 8-)

Should anyone wish to see a 'Motorcycle Riding Safety AVI Video on the roads from Highworth to Brinkworth send a nominal £1 payment to the following paypal address admin@lmco.co.uk complete with delivery address and title payment (Bladerunners)

10. Re: Cornering tips 
    There some good advice here, so really bad advice and alot of what should be common sence anyway...

TBH ride for yourself not anyone else, if you feel you are at your limits with what you know and are not willing to learn to push a little harder then stay that way, however if you feel that you want to improve you riding for speed/safty then there alot of ways to go about it, take the advice offered herem but bear in mind this is what other people find works for them and may not work for you. Anyone with a few years experiance should have good road craft anyway, as in should know how to read the road and what the road conditions should be like, if you dont then learn this first as this will improve your safty no end, If its your bike control that you feel is letting you down then getting some time in with a good instructor would do no harm at all, it does not need to be a paif instructor, just someone who you think has good bike control and most importantly can communicate to you how to control a bike and what makes it do what. Track days will help with your cornering, but can be an expensive way to go. Most importantly enjoy yourself.

Iceman, if im free one sunday, il go out with you at a pace your happy with and work on ya bike control and road position, im pretty sure i can pick up where your going wrong and work on it from there, give me a pm if ya interested......oh and dont listen to ONFIRE, it'll all end in tears....lol

Gav