Notices

Thread: Cornering tips

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. Cornering tips 
    Platinum Member
    Hi, Any experienced bikers in the Swindon area willing to freelance? After a lengthy time off bikes I am holding on too tight when it comes to faster cornering.I've looked up tips and counter steering on the net but it's not the same when I'm on my own. When I follow another biker I find it easier to go in faster but hold back when I'm on my own. Maybe it's my "self defence" and wisdom kicking in wheras as a youngster I had little fear! :-/ Anyway just wanted to know if anyone's around this area to give me some pointers please! If not.no worries.I'll just keep riding around the many roundabouts in Swindon ;D practicing my cornering techniques!

2. Re: Cornering tips 
    Sue600
    Would highly recomend a bike safe course, or if you can afford it a couple of hours with an Instructor.

I'm not the fastest of riders, but just love the bends. Found taking the right line and watching the limit point helps you round. Gives you enough information to know if you can open up or just stay steady.

The limit point is the furthest point you can see around the bend, I use the line where the near side meets the far side of the road. If that point closes in on you then the bend is tightening, if its going away from you then its opening up and you can accelerate.

Found the best way is to get to grips with it at a slow pace, and as you settle into it your speed and confidence grow. I'm certainly no expert, and will never be a great rider... I'm sure there are others on here with much more experience than me. Always up for a spin if you wish to practice those bends though

3. Re: Cornering tips 
    Platinum Member
    Thanks for the reply Sue.Ive sent a PM to you!

4. Re: Cornering tips 
    well, after being on a bike again for only 4 or 5 months I can only say that its practice really. I was off the road for about 3 or so years, and only passed my test 12 months before that!

Don't over push yourself or the bike, ride as smooth as you can, and you will find that it kinda comes to you. I take corners faster and lower than a did when i first started riding again. You need to get used to the bike and your abilities first, then just ride as much as you can, don't worry about the flat out speeds, those will come in a short while. Get your confidence up and get used to your bike!

And I am usually always up for a few hours on the fudge! so gimme a shout if you fancey a bimble!
    Don't get confused between my personality and my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are...

5. Re: Cornering tips 
    Can't go wrong with BikeSafe mate - totally free and an excellent way to spend a Sunday. The instructors are really good at helping with any difficulties you're having.

I needed some guidance with cornering last time I did it and they advised me that I was keeping the revs too low...once I learnt to keep it in the powerband through corners they felt a LOT smoother and more enjoyable
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

6. Re: Cornering tips 
    Platinum Member
    Hunar, I'll follow you down Lyneham Banks on thursday then mate! ;D
    I'm sure you'll leave me standing if you had a mind to! zoom..............................wher'd he go???

Dabz, I've not heard of bike safe on Sundays.Where's that then please?

7. Re: Cornering tips 
    Sue600
    Details of the course and how to apply are here:
    http://www.wiltshirebikers.co.uk/cgi...num=1198163326

8. Re: Cornering tips 
    Platinum Member
    Thanks for that info Sue! later....

9. Re: Cornering tips 
    she beat me to it :P I'm not sure whether the July/August dates are fully booked now but worth a shot - I'm on the July one..looking forward to finding out what bad habits I've picked up!
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

10. Re: Cornering tips 
    Platinum Member
    Iceman I would say just enjoy yourself in the bends.

Get some lessons from a qualified instructor your riding will improve no end.

Find a straight bit of road with no traffic on push down lightly on the end of one of the handlebars and see what the bike does – that’s counter steering (you probably already do it and don’t notice).