Notices

Thread: Scottoiler--Good or Bad-- or any other oiler

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Scottoiler--Good or Bad-- or any other oiler 
    Hi all, I have a new R1 and Im wondering if I should buy an automatic oiler.
    Generally Im looking for peoples opinions as Im really not sure if its the way to go.
    Any guidance greatefully received

Thanks

Dave

2. Re: Scottoiler--Good or Bad-- or any other oiler 
    Platinum Member
    Well here is the view from an FJ1200 point of view

The standard chain the owners club supply last just over 20 000 miles, but if used with a scott oilier can last 40 000 miles

My point of view

If you are going to do a lot of miles and ride in bad weather it’s a fantastic bit of kit, if you don’t plan on doing many miles and always ride in the dry you will be hard pressed to get your money back from the cost of the oilier.

3. Re: Scottoiler--Good or Bad-- or any other oiler 
    Totally agree with FJ.

Funny thing is I brought a kit, but still not got round to fitting it, I just oil my chain every few 100 miles by hand with transmission oil...works a treat (be it a bit messy!)

I've tried using engine oil, that makes even more mess and doesn't stay on the chain for as long...other spray on lubes are waste of money they don't get lubrication down into the links where it's needed.

If you are going to get an automatic oiler, the scottoiler is the one to get the others are useless!

4. Re: Scottoiler--Good or Bad-- or any other oiler 
    got one , love it

5. Re: Scottoiler--Good or Bad-- or any other oiler 
    There good if you keep them topped up and keep an eye on them to make sure they have not developed a air bubble as this stops them working.
    Can be a bit messy but do a great job.
    Personelly i tend to clean and re-lube my chain every couple of rides and have always had chains last in excess of 20k.

6. Re: Scottoiler--Good or Bad-- or any other oiler 
    ONFIRE
    Do the same with my R1 Lubricate it after every couple rides, use Wurth.

Nothing wrong with using engine oil paint it on with small brush let it soak in over night and wipe off excess oil next day, my broth has been doing this for years hardly a spot of oil on back wheel. I tried it myself back wheel plastered in oil , must be down to technique.

So I'll stick to using Wurth 2 second job! 8-)

7. Re: Scottoiler--Good or Bad-- or any other oiler 
    I fitted Scottoilers to my last two bikes, for me there is a huge difference in chain life although I do a fair few miles. A full top up lasts me over 500 miles. If it does run out it's easy enough to bleed.

8. Re: Scottoiler--Good or Bad-- or any other oiler 
    Thanks everyone for your views
    I do alot of miles so a kit would be the answer
    As its about £60 for a new kit I can see it will take a long time to recoup the cost
    Look for a second hand one on ebay is in order.

furry-TLR, are you fitting yours or is this up for grabs

Cheers,
    Dave in mizzy old Shaftesbury, mind you I did clock up 135 miles yesterday, or should i say summer.

9. Re: Scottoiler--Good or Bad-- or any other oiler 
    Na keeping mine LOL...just need to find time to fit it!

Worth the investment and you can move them from one bike to the other with a little effort if you change bike!

10. Re: Scottoiler--Good or Bad-- or any other oiler 
    Diamond Member
    You could buy a shaftie and then there isn't the need lol. I lube mine every 40K miles which since my bike has only done 20K I guess I will be reaching retirement age by then haha. Thats the good thing about BMW's.......