Notices

Thread: New Bike Test

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: New Bike Test 
    Not attaining the speed on the 500 was not a problem with the bike, more like a confidence problem. Maybe they weren't ready, who knows? They seemed confident during training, and had carried out the manoeuvre without any problems.

An unpredictable swerve would definately get people's backs up. I guarantee there would be more candidates binning it.

Ro, you seem to be taking offence at anything I say, but the truth of it is (and many instructors agree), it is a better test than the old one. To have to be a better rider to pass, can not be a bad thing. It seems you want an easier test to accomodate you and your bike. But it is perfectly achievable on your machine. Maybe spend a bit more time getting your confidence before attempting it again?

Don't get me wrong about the DSA. I feel their 'hidden agenda' is to remove bikes from the road via legislation. But when you read the accident statistics, you can see why. Bikers make up less than 1% of road users but account for 19% of deaths and serious injuries. Apart from the trauma to all those families effected, the cost to the NHS, Police, Fire Service, Air Ambulance, etc, is astronomical. When you look closer at the circumstances of those accidents, and you realise that 2/3 of bike accidents involve other road users, and 2/3 of those accidents come down to a driver pulling out in front of us, you can see why they feel it necessary to legislate against us. On the other side of the coin, 1/3 of bike accidents involve no one else, and typically occur in a bend at speed. So any minister with a brain would deduce that it was necessary to a) test a bikers ability to take evasive action, and b)test a bikers ability to stop in an emergency from a high speed, and c) test a bikers ability to take a bend at speed.

I'm not against anything that produces better riders, but I am against any legislation that prevents a reasonable attempt at attaining a full licence. I don't see this new test as unreasonable, and neither do many in the industry. However, planned future changes to the test could be described as unreasonable, and those changes I will fight.

I'm sorry if your opinion differs from mine, but as I stated, if trained correctly, and with a good level of confidence, I don't see why you or anyone else should feel the test is beyond their capabilities.

Best of luck next time... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

2. Re: New Bike Test 
    Mark, if i remember correctly i was one of the first people you had to take the new module 1 and passed first time even though i had high sided that morning, even though we got lucky and had a practice before hand. I then did my module 2 and failed with able which i admit wasn't able's fault but my own. then i went and did my module 2 with my dad on my own bike and passed.
    The module 1 isn't as hard as people say it is, i must admit that the swerve test is quite daunting when you hear about it, but you don't need to brake to do it just the balls to counter steer one way then the other quickly, in fact it was good fun getting 54 kmph on the swerve and 56 on the controlled stop in second gear which is something i wouldn't do on the road.

All in all the new test is and isn't a good thing it depends how you look at it, but some schools will teach you to ride to pass, it's not till your riding with friends/family or by yourself that you become the better rider by reading the road correctly

Rob

3. Re: New Bike Test 
    Cheers Rob. I think the test has had so much bad press that it's putting people off. All I've been trying to say is that it's no where near as bad as it's been made out to be. If the press continue to slate the test, we will be seeing bike shops and training firms going out of business this winter. We are seeing about a third of the number of people taking their test this year compared to last. It's the last thing we all need when we're in a recession. MCN has got a lot to answer for. It always blows everything out of proportion by sensationalising every story.

It's good to hear someone who has done the test, giving some support... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    Nice bike by the way... ;D
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

4. Re: New Bike Test 
    Quote Originally Posted by ro
    I tried the module 1 test recently and failed on the swerve exercise for not reaching the required speed. Should I conclude that I had poor instruction, or that I lack confidence?

I had plenty of practice with Abbey Rider Training (though admittedly they didn't have the kit to check speed accurately) and I'm reasonably confident in most normal situations, but this test is hardly a normal situation. You have to go at least 19mph round a 210-degree bend of radius 19m, then immediately accelerate hard coming out of the bend while straightening up and aiming for a 1.5m gap 20m away. You have to keep accelerating hard for another 10m to be doing at least 32mph through the next 1.5m gap, where the speed detector is located. You then have 10m in which to swerve through a 2.7m gap 3m off to the side and 30m to get back on course and come to a stop with your front wheel inside a 1x1.5m box.

Maybe you can train someone specifically to pass this artificial exercise happily before they have acquired any feel for defensive riding, but even with my limited experience, I would certainly not choose to accelerate hard towards such a narrow gap and then keep going flat out through it towards another one when there was a potential source of hazard ahead. It felt pretty unsafe doing what was required in the dry; I imagine that if my re-test happens on a wet day, I'll will have even less confidence.

I'm all for improving riding (and driving) skills, but there must surely be a better way than this.
    Dont lose heart, my friend just paased the test on the second attempt. But he did tell me that 4 people went up with him and only he passed. I dont think the success rate is the same. Riding schools are alittle like the skippers I go out with sea fishing, they will tell you things are better than they are. Nerves will always play a part, and if not, sometimes abit of bad luck. You will get there. I failed my test on the u-turn, even though, I could do them all day long. Nerves on the day I guess. Just a little tap on the ground for a split second, most people then failed on the u-turn. But this is part of the test. The new test is not impossible or that hard, but the building up of speed on the turning was also pointed out by my friend. I would say the worse thing is that the test is done in 2 parts, more money! Good luck next time, you sound confident and should soon enjoy the joys of the open roads.

5. Re: New Bike Test 
    Keep your chin up Ro and you'll get there mate [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

6. Re: New Bike Test 
    Thanks for the kind words. After some interminable waiting, I pleased to say that have now I passed module 1 and 2, hurrah!

In many ways, I agree the new test being harder than before is a good thing, but having learned how to pass it, I still do not think that module 1 is a good test.

7. Re: New Bike Test 
    Plenty of people give Module 1 the thumbs down...but I've yet to see anyone else come up with anything better?

I think the new test system is a step in the right direction...however I think they really need to think about doing away with 125's for the test and making the bike size a minimium of 250cc. (And also cancel the test if the weather makes it dangerous)

Way I see it is a CBT should be upto 125cc, and then the proper test for above 125cc!

How someone didn't get upto speed on a 500cc I'll never know!

Anyway ro...now you can get bigger bike that hopefully you'll be more comfortable on (or at least look it!) ;D

8. Re: New Bike Test 
    Platinum Member
    Congratulations ro

9. Re: New Bike Test 
    Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista
    Congratulations ro

8-)
    Everything else is shyte

10. Re: New Bike Test 
    Quote Originally Posted by furry-TLR
    Plenty of people give Module 1 the thumbs down...but I've yet to see anyone else come up with anything better?

I think the new test system is a step in the right direction...however I think they really need to think about doing away with 125's for the test and making the bike size a minimium of 250cc. (And also cancel the test if the weather makes it dangerous)

Way I see it is a CBT should be upto 125cc, and then the proper test for above 125cc!

How someone didn't get upto speed on a 500cc I'll never know!

Anyway ro...now you can get bigger bike that hopefully you'll be more comfortable on (or at least look it!) ;D
    Good comments JP. Incidentally, we have had tests terminated when the weather turned really bad. Expect to see early tests cancelled in the winter, when the test area hasn't thawed from an over night frost.

Well done Ro, I knew you'd get there. Happy biking... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk