Notices

Thread: Chain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: Chain 
    Some bikes have to have there chain adjusted not on a centrestand but upright or just on the sidestand.If its to tight can wreck your gearbox sprocket bearing,which poss mean a engine strip Ouch!!
    If you got no user manual Haynes might do a book for your bike.

2. Re: Chain 
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbonnie
    There's got to be a helpful WB bloke down your way who is willing to help - you know how they like to do the 'Man' thing while you do the 'Girl' thing and look helpless. (even tho' you could do it yourself)

Worked for me for years - never broke a fingernail on a bike yet! ;D ;D

BB
    Hows the gearbox coming along is it done yet

3. Re: Chain 
    Hi HMB,

I had a look at your chain tension and it was fine. Did not see the bit about your 'clunking' gearbox. As the chain is about right I think it may well be a case of the slack needing to be taken out of the clutch cable, you need about 5mm slack at the lever end. If this does not help then you have to adjust the clearance between the clutch plates which is slightly more involved but nothing I could not sort in 10 mins...if you get stuck. If that does not sort it, things get more complicated.

Cheers,
    Finbar

4. Re: Chain 
    Quote Originally Posted by lydolepper
    You don't need a centre stand. You can put it on the side stand and use any old jack (I use the one from the boot of my car) to raise the back wheel off the ground. You do need a torque wrench though.
    I wouldn't even attempt it. Jacking up the back end on a 1700cc.

5. Re: Chain 
    Once the wheel had been moved back and the chain sorted the clunking noise stopped, it was a case of the chain was far to loose which is really bad on my part for not paying attention and putting myself in danger but now that I know what to do and look out for it wont ever be getting in that state again!

6. Re: Chain 
    What a muppet.

That said I need to do mine lol

7. Re: Chain 
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbonnie
    There's got to be a helpful WB bloke down your way who is willing to help - you know how they like to do the 'Man' thing while you do the 'Girl' thing and look helpless. (even tho' you could do it yourself)

Worked for me for years - never broke a fingernail on a bike yet! ;D ;D

BB
    BB I like your way of thinking ;D...it's just the same as mine chick!! hee hee [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

roxy