Notices

Thread: Bike cutting out - Any ideas?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Re: Bike cutting out - Any ideas? 
    As the battery is new is your battery still charged do you have a trickle charger to check it? I'm thinking it could be a faulty alternator or regulator/rectifier so it only charges when the engine is spinning fast and creating a bigger current.

I reckon you could get any of the modern sportsbikes if your short they are so tiny..... i look rediculous on the fireblade at 6' 7"!

2. Re: Bike cutting out - Any ideas? 
    Sounds like the charging circuit could be naff.

Have had similar on my Honda.

1. Have you uprated the headlight bulbs??
    2. Check the ground connection (black one from the battery) at both the battery end and the frame end.
    3. When you do start it, ride around with the lights either off or on sidelight. (This will charge the battery)

If that dosen't work...

With the bike running...
    Turn the headlights on and watch to see if the lights get brighter when you rev the bike.

If they change, it indicates a fault with the rectifier / regulator. This will need changing. This is a known fault on Honda's and have had it myself.

"there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

3. Re: Bike cutting out - Any ideas? 
    I recently replaced the light bulbs as a previous owner had put the incorrect ones in which were drawing too much power (and touching the glass cover!). That seemed to have sorted out the cutting out problem, for a while.

Turning on the headlights with the bike running tends to dim the lights!

I can't complain too much, the bike is, after all, 20 years old. It's done me well and other than really really wanting to ride the bleedin thing on Saturday I suppose I can't fault it.

oh well maybe it's a sign....

kj

4. Re: Bike cutting out - Any ideas? 
    Platinum Member
    It has to be a charging problem, have you checked all the earth on the wiring system, you could possibly have a break in a wire or a bad fuse connection so when you go to put it in gear as it vibrates it makes the connection break thus causing the bike to cut out

5. Re: Bike cutting out - Any ideas? 
    Old bikes never die... they just need more loving!!!!

Sounds like it could be a regulator/rectifier problem. Most likely rectifier.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

6. Re: Bike cutting out - Any ideas? 
    Its a pretty easy fix by the sounds of it, id come and have a look for the price of a cuppa tea but your a little far away from me at the moment (until I move). If you cant be bothered im sure a garage wouldn't charge you too much just to do a circuit check on the electrics (some do it free) and then fix whats wrong. You can a clever gizmo that clips onto the battery terminals and tells you what is going on in the charging circuit.

7. Re: Bike cutting out - Any ideas? 
    Yes, I'm sure it is an easy fix for those that have a clue So he's going on his winter break soon to a friend's where he can stay for as long as it takes to get to the bottom of the problem, and of course fitting in with the friend's rather heavy schedule. Not that I planned on too many rides between now and spring anyway (unless I bag that newer bike that I've got my little eye on.....)

kj

8. Re: Bike cutting out - Any ideas? 
    What bike do you have your eye on? or is it a suprise [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

9. Re: Bike cutting out - Any ideas? 
    A Suzuki GS500F (the faired one) - going to look at one at the weekend to see if it's "the one".

kj

10. Re: Bike cutting out - Any ideas? 
    Happy hunting, sounds like a good weekend! 8-)

If its a private sale touch the engine cases to see if they are warm when you get there tends to suggest it sounds a bit noisey when cold and might mean spending money on it. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]