Notices

Thread: Bike cutting out - Any ideas?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Bike cutting out - Any ideas? 
    Thanks guys for your suggestions.

kj

2. Re: Bike cutting out - Any ideas? 
    you might need this Repair Manual CBR400 http://www.carlsalter.com/motorcycle-manuals.asp

Scroll down till you see it models not in cc size on the Honda files

3. Re: Bike cutting out - Any ideas? 
    Diamond Member
    Good set of manuals there Alan

4. Re: Bike cutting out - Any ideas? 
    Quote Originally Posted by alanTDM
    you might need this Repair Manual CBR400 http://www.carlsalter.com/motorcycle-manuals.asp

Scroll down till you see it models not in cc size on the Honda files
    Useful site!

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

5. Re: Bike cutting out - Any ideas? 
    Diamond Member
    KJ, any better since turning up the tickover?
    the carbs sounded out of balance, and need a set of gauges put on and adjusting....
    you supply the keeeeebab, and il bring the gauges... :-)

jaydee.

6. Re: Bike cutting out - Any ideas? 
    Agree with everything suggested above...

If it's doing it the moment you’re dropping it into gear then its electrical problems with the safety kill circuit that bikes including yours has.

If the problem occurs with just the bike sat there in neutral then you gotta start looking at problems with either the air/fuel or ignition...including faulty rec/reg leaking AC into the DC circuit of the bike.

Good way to check for intake seal leaks is spray WD40 round them, if it gets sucked in when the engines running you got a leak

When I had a 400 it was one of the most reliable bikes I ever owned (and used daily everywhere), so don't give in once you got it sorted it will be solid for years.

7. Re: Bike cutting out - Any ideas? 
    Well it cut out PERMANENTLY this morning which pleased me, NOT! It didn't even get to the starting stalls (so to speak) - so now Ollie is in the naughty corner and will remain there for some time to come

I'm on a mission now to find something more reliable for these little legs - and that doesn't include cruisers - they simply don't blow my hair back

kj

8. Re: Bike cutting out - Any ideas? 
    Does the neutral light come on when you turn the ignition.Have you tried starting it with the sidestand up with the bike in gear and holding the clutch in.Normally it should start!

9. Re: Bike cutting out - Any ideas? 
    As above... is there any life??? Do the lights or park lights work??

Does it turn over??? If not have a fiddle with the side stand and the kill switch.

If it does turn over, check the HT cables and the connections.

Will take a look if you want.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

10. Re: Bike cutting out - Any ideas? 
    Thanks all for your suggestions and offers of help. It's nothing to do with the side stand as it does not possess a side stand cut out switchy thingamy. It won't fire up (although I'll gladly set fire to it at present) - will bump start and the battery is relatively new (approx 2 months at most). It's going on a holi holiday to a friends where it will receive some tender loving care and where it won't notice if I arrive home with a younger model to replace it with !

kj