Notices

Thread: Starting probs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: Starting probs 
    Banned
    [quote , is the polarity reversed on your meter? (reading - when you have pos and neg connected correctly) another sign of a duff batter[/quote]

no it reads correctly not (-)

Blandford is a bit far m8 but thanks

2. Re: Starting probs 
    just copied this from another site:

with the engine running you should have between 13.4-14.5 volts going to the battery. let the engine get good and hot, and recheck the charging system. voltage maybe lower but should be still in that range. as the wiring gets hot, it expands, and problems may not show up until then. if that's OK, charge the battery. most cycle shop can load test the battery for you, or after the battery is good and charged, leave it sit or 8-10 hrs. BEFORE trying to start the bike, check the standing voltage. you should have over 12 volts. if not battery is bad. if OK, hook it up to the bike and with a meter hooked up, crank the engine over, and watch the voltage. voltage should not go under 10.5 volts when cranking, if so, bad battery.

hope this helps.

3. Re: Starting probs 
    Banned
    thanks Jonney its looking more n more like the battery, even tho its suppose to be new

4. Re: Starting probs 
    You have a pm

5. Re: Starting probs 
    Platinum Member
    Alan,
    You have a PM mate

6. Re: Starting probs 
    Banned
    Thanks Simon for the offer, but i got 1 from bob + a battery to try.

my battery is on charge and the battery from Bob worked fine, so i think need to buy the correct one as the 1 i took offe is a 12v A-B, but the online book says i should have a 12v A-A

Thanks to All for the help

7. Re: Starting probs 
    Platinum Member
    No worries mate glad you are getting it sorted [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I have a mate that maybe able to source a battery for you at a decnt price if you get anymore prob's [smiley=happy.gif]

8. Re: Starting probs 
    Banned
    ok thought id sorted out the starting problem with the battery, but in fact its the rectifier or the generator, so i may need a new one [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

9. Re: Starting probs 
    my rectifier went on my cbr 600 mate, it kept draining the battery til i replaced it, was about £80 through bikeaid in trowbridge.

luckily mine wasnt the generator i hear thats £££

hope it works out ok

10. Re: Starting probs 
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc
    ok thought id sorted out the starting problem with the battery, but in fact its the rectifier or the generator, so i may need a new one [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    A check for the rectifier, get the bike started in the evening of al night, turn the headlights on and rev the engine from tickover. If the recifier is faulty, the lights will dim a bit at tickover and brighten a bit at the rest of the rev range.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"