Notices

Thread: Starting probs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Starting probs 
    Banned
    Hi
    Does anyone have any advice of wot i cud look at,

After running the bike for about 10 mins, i turned the bike off, went to restart and all i got was a clicking sound, left the bike over night and the bike started first time after a couple of mins bike stalled, tried to restart and got clicking sound again.

Any info PLEASE [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

2. Re: Starting probs 
    Diamond Member

I can only suggest to do what I do, drop it off at the boyfriend's, explain the symptoms and let him have fun with it...I'm afraid I can't help, but I'm sure a lot of the others will.

Good luck, I know how frustating it is when the bike dies on you for no apparent reason.

3. Re: Starting probs 
    is it just one click as you press the starter? or is it a repetitive click, like a very loud ratchet?

edited to add: is the click coming from the starter and how loud is it?

4. Re: Starting probs 
    Sounds to me like battery connection problems. Make sure the battery terminals are clean and tightened correctly. Make sure the main earth point on the bike isn't corroded. That's where I'd start, anyway. Hope it helps. If it's not that, then I'd move onto the starter motor itself although the clicking is most likely the starter relay and not enough juice.

5. Re: Starting probs 
    Is there a click and a whirrr... if so the starter is running but not engaging.

Do you have any secuity features (immobaliser etc)??

Is an odd one... would suggest what Burger says as a starter.

Try taking the plugs out and rotating the engine with the motor.

Will it bump start??
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

6. Re: Starting probs 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    Is there a click and a whirrr... if so the starter is running but not engaging.

Will it bump start??
    You will need to put the plugs back in before bump starting it....

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

7. Re: Starting probs 
    It may be a dead battery, it can take a while to replenish the battery after you start it, hence it started ok then wouldnt start (it may have had just enough juice to get it going once). if you doing lots of small trips this can also kill it. try charging it or do a quick volt check across the terminals, should be a healthy 12v, if not its the battery. if you've been doing lots of long riding and its still dead (or low vaults) this can indicate a problem with the electrical charging system.

hope this helps

8. Re: Starting probs 
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbonnie
    [quote author=Jon_W link=1272924524/0#4 date=1272971682]Is there a click and a whirrr... if so the starter is running but not engaging.

Will it bump start??
    You will need to put the plugs back in before bump starting it....

BB
    [/quote]

;D Hadn't read it that way.....

Yes you will!!!
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

9. Re: Starting probs 
    Banned
    ok i just tried a test meter on my battery and found that the battery reads 11.55, as i turn the ignition on the volts drop but as i press the start the volts drop to 5.8 or lower and then just clicking

so cud i borrow a battery charger from someone so i can charge the battery and get the bike started so i can test wot the recharge rate is when the engine is running above 3000rpm

PLZ PM me ASAP with your address and i will collect and return when finished

Thanks
    Alan [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

10. Re: Starting probs 
    im in blandford, but its yours if you need it? if the battery initially reads 11v and then drops i thinks it means the amps are dead and the battery wont hold a charge, thats why the bike dies even when running, usually meaning the battery is duff, is the polarity reversed on your meter? (reading - when you have pos and neg connected correctly) another sign of a duff batter