Notices

Thread: Oil....  It's all getting technical.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: Oil.... It's all getting technical. 
    Steve_H...
    Well, ill take that one on the chin deservedly so... :-X However luckily for me i stopped and did exactly what the book says in event of an oil light coming on "stop and fill it up" so no harm done and and after all what idiot would put a warning light on any machine if it warned you when it was all too late, of course it isn't hard to check and at least now i know that this particular machine drinks like me on a saturday night, especially this particular saturday

2. Re: Oil.... It's all getting technical. 
    Diamond Member
    the oil light will be set to something like 7psi, and will activate below that, illuminating the lamp.
    if it comes on then there MAY be some pressure although it will be very small, and certainly not enough to feed your engine the amount it needs to run. the light comes on so that you have a very small reserve amount of engine oil available, just enough to turn off the engine....
    the feed to the crank only needs to be at a pressure high enough to overcome gravity, as the actual pressure needed to prevent metal scuffing is generated by a "Wedge" action ( hundreds and hundreds of PSI) as the crank moves in the bearings............. catch me at a meeting and il explain sometime.....

think you need to tell Honda about the oil consumption though.....

3. Re: Oil.... It's all getting technical. 
    Steve_H...
    JHS Racing just done some work for me... Power Commander, fuel mapping, service etc and the guy tells me that the new blade burns a litre every 1000 miles ish so seems the oil consumption although seemingly alittle extreme was within limits and at least i know now so can keep an eye on it.

Cheers everyone [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

4. Re: Oil.... It's all getting technical. 
    on my Jap bikes,I always warm up the engine,a good 3 or 4 minutes,turn her off,wait a minute,the check the oil.This way the oil has worked its way all around the engine.wot you check then is the stuff left in the crankcase.This might be total bollocks bet its worked for me over the years.Also remember motorbike oil for motorbikes.not car oil,our clutchs dont like that stuff.

5. Re: Oil.... It's all getting technical. 
    Diamond Member
    a litre every thou???...... bloody 'ell....whats that doing to the cat?????.......

are they made by british leyland?????

6. Re: Oil.... It's all getting technical. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_H...
    JHS Racing just done some work for me... Power Commander, fuel mapping, service etc and the guy tells me that the new blade burns a litre every 1000 miles ish so seems the oil consumption although seemingly alittle extreme was within limits and at least i know now so can keep an eye on it.

A litre every 1000 miles Most bikes only contain about 2.5 litres....

Neither my old man's Brit bikes or my BL mini consume anywhere near that (and both are incontenant). That's horrendous!!!

I find it hard to believe that Honda make a bike that bad!!! :-?
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

7. Re: Oil.... It's all getting technical. 
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnydangerous
    a litre every thou???...... bloody 'ell....whats that doing to the cat?????.......

HEY!!!! >

My mini ain't THAT bad!!!! ;D
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

8. Re: Oil.... It's all getting technical. 
    Steve_H...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    [quote author=Steve_H... link=1276113698/15#22 date=1276277455]JHS Racing just done some work for me... Power Commander, fuel mapping, service etc and the guy tells me that the new blade burns a litre every 1000 miles ish so seems the oil consumption although seemingly alittle extreme was within limits and at least i know now so can keep an eye on it.

A litre every 1000 miles Most bikes only contain about 2.5 litres....

Neither my old man's Brit bikes or my BL mini consume anywhere near that (and both are incontenant). That's horrendous!!!

I find it hard to believe that Honda make a bike that bad!!! :-?[/quote]

I know... Horrendous, but he didn't seem surprised at all and knows far more than i do.

Holds 3.6 apparantly :-?

9. Re: Oil.... It's all getting technical. 
    Steve_H...
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnydangerous

Well. i'm thinking with my limited knowledge (may well be wrong) that the cat is in the standard exhaust, if so then it's not doing anything because it's lying in the boot of my car ???

10. Re: Oil.... It's all getting technical. 
    I've just had a read on the web, and it would appear that these bikes are notorious oil drinkers. One guy had similar problems, took the bike back to the dealer who promptly changed the piston rings under warrenty. If yours is new, I'd complain to the dealer. A litre every 1000 miles is a major leak in my books.