Quote Originally Posted by njl
I have always been put off by the tool cost vs amount of uses on return i'd get in having one.

If you look at it in two sections - breaking the old chain and joining the new one - I think to split the old chain you could (CAREFULLY) take an angle grinder to the rivet heads on the side plate of a link to split the chain, I've not done this yet myself so not sure if you then need a chain splitter still to pull the plate free - this of course being based on the old chain not being used again.

The simple way of joining the new one would be a split link but you'd not want to run one on bigger engine bikes, I've seen some talk online about using a C clamp and ball bearing to flare the new rivet ends.

TBH, the chain being so critical and hazardous to fail on you, I'd keep looking out for someone with prior practice and tools to come & help!
i fully understand what you're saying mate, just not paying 50 quid when i'm only lacking 1 tool, and it seems a hammer and punch/drift is an acceptable substitute

i hadn't thought of grinding the old one off, that would be much quicker [smiley=thumbsup.gif]