Notices

Thread: Filtering Traffic

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
  1. Re: Filtering Traffic 
    Diamond Member
    I find that car drivers don't see me cos they're, quite simply, not looking. Rode next to an a4 for 3,4 miles the other day, and all of a sudden the idiot tries to get on my spot, just like that. When i beeped and scared the life out of her, she said she hadn't seen me, yet I had been there for a good 5 minutes...

2. Re: Filtering Traffic 
    Quote Originally Posted by Morticia
    I find that car drivers don't see me cos they're, quite simply, not looking. Rode next to an a4 for 3,4 miles the other day, and all of a sudden the idiot tries to get on my spot, just like that. When i beeped and scared the life out of her, she said she hadn't seen me, yet I had been there for a good 5 minutes...
    That doesn't sound right at all, I don't believe a female driver wasn't paying attention to anything around her ;D

I do know what you mean though, especially as we've both riden in the south of Spain where drivers are aware of bikers because they're brought up on two wheels before making the change to four.

I try to move over to the verge as much as I can to let bikes through and I do see idiots not bothering and even trying to move across so bikes can't get passed.

I'm trying to get some WB stickers for my car so bikers will know that I'm aware of them [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

3. Re: Filtering Traffic 
    Have found that the Cub is alarmingly invisible on the road... even to other bikes...

... also other road users develop an urge to overtake, whatever the speed limit or occasion.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

4. Re: Filtering Traffic 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    Have found that the Cub is alarmingly invisible on the road... even to other bikes...

... also other road users develop an urge to overtake, whatever the speed limit or occasion.
    If you are on a small old bike most people ignore you, I find it on the old Ajay. I just stake my claim to my bit of road, stare hard at car drivers and nod at everything with two wheels and an engine! I also irritate the hell out of bigger bikes by sticking with them (or even getting past them) filtering in heavy traffic.

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

5. Re: Filtering Traffic 
    Platinum Member
    In all fairness, if I see another bike I will make room. I won't p!ss of a car driver 'just in case' another biker turns up.
    I think the suggestion was pulling over to the left, so that there is room for another bike alongside you.
    Two bikes side by side take the same space along the road as one bike.
    That shouldn't bother a car driver.
    It wasn't a suggestion to leave space behind you.

Of course if you pull over to the left then you can't get out to the right as easily so there are places to do it and places where you won't want to do it.

6. Re: Filtering Traffic 
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbonnie

I also irritate the hell out of bigger bikes by sticking with them (or even getting past them) filtering in heavy traffic.

BB
    HA HA!! ;D

Have found that the cub is brilliant for filtering.... so small and nippy.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

7. Re: Filtering Traffic 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista
    In all fairness, if I see another bike I will make room. I won't p!ss of a car driver 'just in case' another biker turns up.
    I think the suggestion was pulling over to the left, so that there is room for another bike alongside you.
    Two bikes side by side take the same space along the road as one bike.
    That shouldn't bother a car driver.
    It wasn't a suggestion to leave space behind you.

Of course if you pull over to the left then you can't get out to the right as easily so there are places to do it and places where you won't want to do it.

I usually pull up next to/between the front car/s. I'm always gonna get away first but not taking any driver's 'personal' space (that 2 yards in front of his/her bumper).

If I know there's another biker behind me, I'll pull in front of the car and make sure the biker behind me can see clear road.

I won't usually pull in front of a stationary car if I don't have, can't see the need.

8. Re: Filtering Traffic 
    I clipped a wing mirror at the weekend going through a long line of stationary traffic. Apparently my tried and tested method of closing my eyes and taking a sharp breath if it looks too tight for me isnt flawless!

9. Re: Filtering Traffic 
    Quote Originally Posted by Fez
    I clipped a wing mirror at the weekend going through a long line of stationary traffic. Apparently my tried and tested method of closing my eyes and taking a sharp breath if it looks too tight for me isnt flawless!
    I've had a few bikes do that to me now and, as a biker, it really annoys me and it gives bikers a bad name.

I don't filter unless I'm 100% sure my bike will fit through and that includes my mirrors. I know it's hard sometimes because I've filtered for years and I've never caught a wing mirror and when someone did it to my M3 I gave chase and an M3 can catch up with alot of bikes out there and I'm happy to give chase as a wing mirror set me back almost £800 from BMW.

What I'm trying to say is, please be careful and don't hit other road users because we're all going on about bikers being hit by cars but it's just as bad the other way round, granted not as damaging, but still not good road sense

10. Re: Filtering Traffic 
    Diamond Member
    To be honest I get a buzz out of filtering traffic and to be able to do so is one of the benefits of two wheels.