Notices

Thread: Filtering Traffic

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Filtering Traffic 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Able
    [quote author=bobf279 link=1268868174/15#28 date=1270931239]Not sure I would like to be riding in London let alone filtering
    The only way to get about Bob. Just gotta beware of U-turning taxis... >[/quote]

And mad buses. >
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

2. Re: Filtering Traffic 
    Platinum Member
    the madest are the cyclists they weave all over the place on and off pavements rarely stop at traffic lights and tend to be going even quicker than bikes (motor).

3. Re: Filtering Traffic 
    best thing for filtering. LOUD exhausts blip the throttle on the way through to make more people notice the fact you are there and as earlier said, if they pull out give em a kick, an experienced pillon can help with this lol. the missus is getting really good

4. Re: Filtering Traffic 
    I filter all the time,always look for the safe pull in if something large is coming tother way,lights on full beam is another trick,watching for lemings,sorry,pedestrians.We can see over the cars so can plan ahead better.Watch for the front wheels of cars turning,means they are about to pull a u-turn/out.be confident in your own abilities,the bikes width and if in doubt,leave it out.Nicko

5. Re: Filtering Traffic 
    Quote Originally Posted by nicko@able
    I filter all the time,always look for the safe pull in if something large is coming tother way,lights on full beam is another trick,watching for lemings,sorry,pedestrians.We can see over the cars so can plan ahead better.Watch for the front wheels of cars turning,means they are about to pull a u-turn/out.be confident in your own abilities,the bikes width and if in doubt,leave it out.Nicko
    Exactly so!

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

6. Re: Filtering Traffic 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Able
    [quote author=b_m1957 link=1268868174/0#10 date=1268943277]Took me ages to pluck up the courage to do it, now it's second nature.

The 20/20 rule is one I always stick to, and the most important rule (already been brought up), is just stick to what you feel comfortable doing!

Good to know about not passing the first car; I generally pull over in front of the first car in order to put myself in a visible and therefore safer position. I'll re-consider from now on! Is this true for all lights where pedestrians can cross, or just lights which are there solely to let pedestrians cross (toucans, pelicans etc.)?
    It's only at pedestrian crossings. At traffic lights, get up the front and be first away... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    Having been brought up on the outskirts of London, filtering is second nature. In fact, as kid, I used to practice the art of 'extreme filtering'. If there's a gap, go for it... ;D[/quote]
    leave a bit of room for the next biker to get up in front of the car as well,sometimes people dont an you get left out with your arse hanging in the breeze.I always pull over to the left in front of the lead car,this leaves a space for someone else.

7. Re: Filtering Traffic 
    leave a bit of room for the next biker to get up in front of the car as well,sometimes people dont an you get left out with your arse hanging in the breeze.I always pull over to the left in front of the lead car,this leaves a space for someone else.
    Ah! Somone else who does this. If only more riders did the same. Most seem to go for the "I'm all right Jack" approach.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

8. Re: Filtering Traffic 
    Is that big space that appears behind me when the lights go green not sufficient??? ;D

In all fairness, if I see another bike I will make room. I won't p!ss of a car driver 'just in case' another biker turns up.

9. Re: Filtering Traffic 
    Time for a grump, its great that everyone is practicing their filtering, its a must in heavy traffic, but a bad habbit seems to be spreading. Frequently riders are not looking far enough ahead to find a space to safely pull back into thier side of the road. I am an hgv driver as well as a biker and I am often finding bikes stranded on the wrong side of the road in stationary traffic and not enough room for me to pass. Devizes is a real pain for this as traffic is slow moving at best and the roads are narrow. I have lost count as how many misjudged manouvers have forced me to stop and wait while bikes try to get push back in. One good thing is seeing their faces when they relise they have nowhere to go I usally give way and stop but next time ? well are you feeling lucky today?
    Grump over back to business.
    P.S Ride safe peeps

10. Re: Filtering Traffic 
    Filtering in traffic is not easy as most will know. My advice is to stay in 2nd or 3rd gear so that you can use the engine braking by rolling off the throttle slightly rather than stamping on the rear brake. Modern bikes have excellent front brakes which can grab especially if you have been on a long run or have been using the front brake alot. Most car drivers will pull out of your way and the occasional numpty will not. Remember to check in the cars mirrors to see if th driver has seen you.If you are filtering up to traffic lights or a junction and you think the lights are about to change do not filter past the first car, just stop behind him. This means that the car behind him can see you and will let you in.
    Be curtious and the occasional wave of thanks will be appreciated. I ride a Goldwing and filtering is just as easy as riding an R6 or other sports bike. Just remember do not put yourself in a position where the car driver can't see you.