Notices

Thread: Filtering Traffic

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Filtering Traffic 
    Took me ages to pluck up the courage to do it, now it's second nature.

The 20/20 rule is one I always stick to, and the most important rule (already been brought up), is just stick to what you feel comfortable doing!

Good to know about not passing the first car; I generally pull over in front of the first car in order to put myself in a visible and therefore safer position. I'll re-consider from now on! Is this true for all lights where pedestrians can cross, or just lights which are there solely to let pedestrians cross (toucans, pelicans etc.)?

2. Re: Filtering Traffic 
    filtering is one of the major benefits of being on 2 wheels! I do it as much as I can, though I'm probably bad by almost always getting in front of the front car
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

3. Re: Filtering Traffic 
    Quote Originally Posted by b_m1957
    Took me ages to pluck up the courage to do it, now it's second nature.

The 20/20 rule is one I always stick to, and the most important rule (already been brought up), is just stick to what you feel comfortable doing!

Good to know about not passing the first car; I generally pull over in front of the first car in order to put myself in a visible and therefore safer position. I'll re-consider from now on! Is this true for all lights where pedestrians can cross, or just lights which are there solely to let pedestrians cross (toucans, pelicans etc.)?
    It's only at pedestrian crossings. At traffic lights, get up the front and be first away... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    Having been brought up on the outskirts of London, filtering is second nature. In fact, as kid, I used to practice the art of 'extreme filtering'. If there's a gap, go for it... ;D
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

4. Re: Filtering Traffic 
    There was a guy I'd trained when I was working in Poole, who was a bit of a nutter. Everything he did was way too fast. He was a good rider, but too fast. He claimed he was filtering at 20mph when the bonnet of a car appeared from between the traffic queue. He didn't hit the wing, he hit the front wheel, which had the affect of stopping his bike dead. The damage to the bike was a dented fuel tank, created by his plums. Plums was the right description as well, because they were quite large and purple afterwards. :'(
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

5. Re: Filtering Traffic 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Able
    It's only at pedestrian crossings. At traffic lights, get up the front and be first away... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    Having been brought up on the outskirts of London, filtering is second nature. In fact, as kid, I used to practice the art of 'extreme filtering'. If there's a gap, go for it... ;D
    That's even better to know

I don't think I'm experienced enough to take my bike into London yet!

6. Re: Filtering Traffic 
    Thanks for all the help guys, a lot more confident

7. Re: Filtering Traffic 
    [quote author=dan_geoghegan link=1268868174/0#8 date=1268937727]i always look at the drivers face in the mirror before i get alongside. You can tell alot by someones facial expression as to what they are about to do next.[/quote

Agreed sometimes u can

8. Re: Filtering Traffic 
    But u never thought he was thinking this tho did ya ;D ;D

9. Re: Filtering Traffic 
    Hmm, I dunno? ;D

10. Re: Filtering Traffic 
    Quote Originally Posted by b_m1957
    I don't think I'm experienced enough to take my bike into London yet!
    You should have a go - you've already been riding much longer than I had on my first ride through London, still on L-plates! It turned out to be much less stressful than I expected, though I was glad I had the sat-nav giving directions so I didn't have to worry about getting lost. I did a lot of filtering that day

We should doit as a WB ride. Perhaps pick a day when there's something on at the Ace Cafe.