Notices

Thread: Filtering Traffic

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. Filtering Traffic 
    So, seen so many bikers do it, yet, I still haven't tryed it.

When can I filter through traffic?
    How?
    Who can?
    What do I do/have to do?
    Where can I do it?

8-)

TY

2. Re: Filtering Traffic 
    Am not sure of the legal issue here... as far as I'm aware filtering is a grey area. I tend not to pass the first car in a que so as not to gain road position... but this may be no more than a superstition on my part.

How?? Slowly and carefully. Remember, people can do the most random things. Be visable. Don't be in a rush.

What do you do / have to do??? Take great care. Only go if you are certian not to get stuck.

Where?? Where is safe and you feel confident. Obviously blind bends and very narrow roads are no-no's. Use common sense is my advise.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

3. Re: Filtering Traffic 
    insurance companies don't like it and cars change lanes in stalled / slow moving traffic very quickly without looking or indicating, so you and only you need to weigh up the risk / benefit of doing it each time.

legally it is a well fought over area as it isn't expressly prohibited but there are other laws (careless or dangerous driving, undertaking etc) that can be judiciously argued by the feds and insurance companies to suit their argument.

that's all in my experience / opinion of course. search most biking forums and there will be plenty of questions like this and even more threads about crashes whilst filtering :'(

4. Re: Filtering Traffic 
    Platinum Member
    I filter most days in Swindon traffic as I commute on my bike.

I think Jon sums things up nicely, remember keep within your comfort zone accidents hurt!

5. Re: Filtering Traffic 
    Platinum Member
    Its not illegal and actually states about filtering in the highway code. Always a good one to pull if an accident occurs as the insurance solicitors are out for an easy life and will easily roll over ref this.

Just be sensible, not too quick and be defensive and you'll be fine - if they try to pull out fist into window or swift kick wakes them up

6. Re: Filtering Traffic 
    I have read somewhere that it is illegal to filter past the first vehicle at a pedestrian crossing so bear this in mind and stop one short.

7. Re: Filtering Traffic 
    Quote Originally Posted by Cemorah
    I have read somewhere that it is illegal to filter past the first vehicle at a pedestrian crossing so bear this in mind and stop one short.
    This is correct. In fact, all the 'no overtaking' laws apply. You cannot cross a soild white line, or enter bus/tram/cycle lane, enter hatch markings bordered by a solid white line, after passing a 'no overtaking' sign, etc. Stick to the 20/20 rule, which is:- the vehicles you are filtering past should be doing no more than 20mph, and you shouldn't pass them more than 20mph faster. look out for pedestrians crossing between the traffic, cars emerging between the traffic, large on-coming vehicles, etc. Also, remember you are on the white lines and cats eyes which can be slippy. Don't be impatient, take you're time. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

8. Re: Filtering Traffic 
    Thanks very much.

Yeah, I'll take it slow, I don't see the point in rushing with a filter, you're still aster than if you were in traffic.

Thanks guys.

9. Re: Filtering Traffic 
    ALWAYS have your headlight on (you should anyway) i always look at the drivers face in the mirror before i get alongside. You can tell alot by someones facial expression as to what they are about to do next.

10. Re: Filtering Traffic 
    #88 if you ever need to quote it:
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_069854

Means jack sh1t to a claims handler though if you end up in an accident. If you get crunched (at any speed) they will run the argument you were filtering too fast to avoid the likely risk of cars changing lanes.