Notices

Thread: When is wintery weather TOO wintery?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. When is wintery weather TOO wintery? 
    A question for the all weather bikers out there....

So far I've managed to commute too and from work on the CG 5 days a week, every week, since March, but now the weather has turned (and we have snow!) I was wondering at what point you guys decide it's time to put the bike away? :-/

Luckily I live very close to the A4 so as long as I can get out of my road I'm on main roads all the way to work, and I've got good tyres with lots of tread, but when should I stop listening to the bit that loves being out on the bike (even in the freezing cold with 6 layers on!) and listen to the sensible mum voice telling me it's time to put two wheels away?
    100 Japanese horses now unmuzzled! Derestricted hooliganism has commenced...

2. Re: When is wintery weather TOO wintery? 
    If you are anything like Ghost it will be when you can't get the bike to the A4 or the wind chill is getting really bad!

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

3. Re: When is wintery weather TOO wintery? 
    Diamond Member
    Today! Lol

Out in the car, and didnt stop when appliedbrakes earlier. Def too cold today

4. Re: When is wintery weather TOO wintery? 
    Quote Originally Posted by lunalupi
    So far I've managed to commute too and from work on the CG 5 days a week, every week, since March, but now the weather has turned (and we have snow!) I was wondering at what point you guys decide it's time to put the bike away? :-/

Luckily I live very close to the A4 so as long as I can get out of my road I'm on main roads all the way to work, and I've got good tyres with lots of tread, but when should I stop listening to the bit that loves being out on the bike (even in the freezing cold with 6 layers on!) and listen to the sensible mum voice telling me it's time to put two wheels away?
    I'm in a similar position. I keep riding all winter and thoroughly enjoy it. I only stopped briefly last year after slipping over on unseen ice (fortunately not coming to any harm myself and only causing cosmetic (but expensive) damage to the bike) - but that persuaded me to stay off wheels for about 3 weeks during the long snowy spell in Jan/Feb. Knowing that I was riding carefully on a sunny, dry day when my slip happened does now make me worry that there's little I can do to reduce the risk in those conditions, so I'm more likely to leave the bike in the garage when it's sub-zero.

5. Re: When is wintery weather TOO wintery? 
    Platinum Member
    I wouldn't go out in snow/ice, even in the car.

We have had a few accidents in the snow in the car, mostly someone else's fault and it causes a lot of hassle and expense.

Last year when it snowed we got the train or worked from home.
    It just isn't worth the expense and hassle for a few days a year.

One day we did venture out and at the top of the hill we were driving on ice and it took 2 hours to get to work.
    It simple isn't worth it.

Any claim you make these days (even if it's totally non-fault and your car was parked) counts against you on your insurance and even more so if you have multiple claims, so it just isn't worth it.

It can be difficult to tell when there's ice about but below zero is a pretty good indicator/

6. Re: When is wintery weather TOO wintery? 
    You may feel you have mastered the conditions and you are invincible up to the time you hit "black Ice". Then you will realise how vulnerable you are. So stay off the roads if it rained or snowed yesterday and the outside temperature is below 4C.

You may be able to control you bike in snow but we have so little in this country that most drivers are unpracticed. You may do little damage to an ufaired bike in a spill but if a following car hits the same ice you are the one who will get hurt.

I ride in all weathers for fun but will not ride in snow and ice or Thunder storms.

Take care

7. Re: When is wintery weather TOO wintery? 
    Diamond Member
    Why not thunder storms out of interest?

8. Re: When is wintery weather TOO wintery? 
    I use my bike to commute to work, so I ride it all year round, in all weathers, it does get a little tricky in snow and sub-zero temperatures.
    + my commute is less than 3 miles so that helps!!
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'

9. Re: When is wintery weather TOO wintery? 
    Platinum Member
    I don't mind all weathers, not ice or snow, so i'm off the bike at the mo. The only bikes i've seen out the last couple of days have been, 125cc learners and ped boi's with no gloves...the enthusiasm of youth eh!?

10. Re: When is wintery weather TOO wintery? 
    I stop when there is a large amount of ice around. Am still out and about at the moment as the mail roads are still clear. Not far off stopping though...
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"