Notices

Thread: Riding with a Pillion

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Re: Riding with a Pillion 
    If it's her "first time" as well what might help is giving her a glass of wine before you go out, it'll help her relax a bit.
    Otherwise, just keep it smooth, a bit like riding in the wet, easy on the throttle and the brakes, give yourself a little more time everywhere.... then when there's a small crest in the road, progressive use of the throttle in 2nd or 3rd gear will loft a nice controllable wheelie - pillions are really useful for this actually [smiley=thumbsup.gif] 8-) this suggestion is purely optional, the rest is pretty mandatory for a virgin pillion...

If you do a good enough job of it, she'll get off the back all happy and excited and jabbering about how she never knew it could be so much fun and when can she have another go and maybe she'll get one of her own 8-). If you make a real hash of it, however, she's likely to get off, wait until you've removed your helmet, and punch you really hard, and stomp off, never to be seen again.... :'(

The choice is yours....

Suggestion from Star, who's looking over my shoulder as I write - for your first trip with a passenger, why not take out someone who's an experienced pillion? That way they can give you some proper feedback (and maybe punch you as well if you really f*ck it up!)
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

2. Re: Riding with a Pillion 
    I have used 'love handles' didn't like them. if you do want a pillion who's done it before I'll volunteer, but think your post said the person had already pillioned before.
    It's Lilac... not pink!

3. Re: Riding with a Pillion 
    Defo recommend the Love handles or Hip grips, this gives your pillion a seens of safety
    Best also to give your pillion a few ground rules to start with lol
    1 try and relax
    2 Move with the Rider and not the bike
    3 Enjoy the experainace of being n the back of the bike

As some of us know anyway the pillion will love the bike so much that they themselves will end up becoming a biker

4. Re: Riding with a Pillion 
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel
    Defo recommend the Love handles or Hip grips, this gives your pillion a seens of safety
    Best also to give your pillion a few ground rules to start with lol
    1 try and relax
    2 Move with the Rider and not the bike
    3 Enjoy the experainace of being n the back of the bike

As some of us know anyway the pillion will love the bike so much that they themselves will end up becoming a biker

That'd be me then hehehe ;D ;D

5. Re: Riding with a Pillion 
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    If it's her "first time" as well what might help is giving her a glass of wine before you go out, it'll help her relax a bit.
    Otherwise, just keep it smooth, a bit like riding in the wet, easy on the throttle and the brakes, give yourself a little more time everywhere.... then when there's a small crest in the road, progressive use of the throttle in 2nd or 3rd gear will loft a nice controllable wheelie - pillions are really useful for this actually [smiley=thumbsup.gif] 8-) this suggestion is purely optional, the rest is pretty mandatory for a virgin pillion...

If you do a good enough job of it, she'll get off the back all happy and excited and jabbering about how she never knew it could be so much fun and when can she have another go and maybe she'll get one of her own 8-). If you make a real hash of it, however, she's likely to get off, wait until you've removed your helmet, and punch you really hard, and stomp off, never to be seen again.... :'(

The choice is yours....

Suggestion from Star, who's looking over my shoulder as I write - for your first trip with a passenger, why not take out someone who's an experienced pillion? That way they can give you some proper feedback (and maybe punch you as well if you really f*ck it up!)
    [smiley=thumbup.gif] Scotty this made me laugh lots!! I can imagine you scaring the crap out of a pillion!! [smiley=laugh.gif]

Roxy

6. Re: Riding with a Pillion 
    Platinum Member
    Trust me - being pillion on a bike with a pillion seat the size of a postage stamp with no grab rails while it wheelies is not an experience I would recommend for the faint hearted

7. Re: Riding with a Pillion 

H - you are one brave chick!!! ;D ;D

8. Re: Riding with a Pillion 
    The tips I was given and use are as follows.

Remember the extra weight. The bike will be heavy and not accelerate, corner, and more importantly, brake as well. Allow more time, and allow greater stopping distancees. The bike will also be top heavy, this will affect the conering and will make the bike heavy when you stop. Remember to stop on an even surface, as your legs will have to support the extra weight.

Check your tyre pressures and chain adjustment, These will be under greater strain

Ride smoothly, the last thing you want is the pillion shuffling back into position or banging hats.

Get the pillon to follow you. When you lean, the pilion needs to lean, or the bike will stand up in corners. Get the pilion to hold round your waist for the firstfew runs.

And finally, enjoy. My girlfriend rides pillion, and we both enjoy it on a sumers day. Is a great way to see things together.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

9. Re: Riding with a Pillion 
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda_Star
    Trust me - being pillion on a bike with a pillion seat the size of a postage stamp with no grab rails while it wheelies is not an experience I would recommend for the faint hearted
    I always used to fall asleep as pillion, though I think even I might stay awake if a wheelie was imminent! ;D

My advice for pillioning - I was always told to sit like a sack of potatoes and that seemed to work well enough

10. Re: Riding with a Pillion 
    I never got the chance to fall asleep as a pillion. Most of my time on the back was spent on a 1930's ridgid frame Velocette.... very nice wide seat, but no suspension means you keep an eye out for the pot holes and brace when you see one.

Never fell asleepand am now too warey as a pillion.... still look out for pot holes......
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"