Notices

Thread: Riding with a Pillion

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Riding with a Pillion 
    Diamond Member
    Having not ever taking a Pillion before. Help & advise welcome Pls

2. Re: Riding with a Pillion 
    Make sure you talk them through what to expect when pulling away and stopping (had a few pillions come flying forward when I brake, crushing me against the tank!)

I always tell them to tap me on the leg if they want to stop, and reassure them that they won't come off the back!

Oh and be prepared for newbies to lean the opposite way on corners..it upsets the balance of the bike a lot and is a bit of a fight, but they get used to it soon!
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

3. Re: Riding with a Pillion 
    Diamond Member
    She has pillioned before so I think it may be just get out & try few short rides get used to it. more for me than anything else. Classic of never say never :

4. Re: Riding with a Pillion 
    Thats cool - just the standard then..braking distance will be much longer and you'll need to learn not to snap open the throttle and quick change the gears otherwise you'll get a slap :P
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

5. Re: Riding with a Pillion 
    Good advice for a pillion who doesn't ride is to look over your shoulder in the direction you're turning - that way they naturally add a bit of lean in the correct direction. I found the bike handled miraculously well with a pillion who could also ride - going round corners seemed effortless ...until we disagreed about which way we should be going!

Stopping distance is longer, but in partial compensation, the rear brake works better.

6. Re: Riding with a Pillion 
    Try and make your riding as smooth as possible. For example, when accelerating, ease off a little before going for the gear change. When braking, start gentle, then progressively apply more. Ease them into corners, rather than just chucking it on it's side. Try not to go too fast. It feels like warp speed when you're on the back...
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

7. Re: Riding with a Pillion 
    Diamond Member
    All good advise. Just need to get out & practice. Thanks all

8. Re: Riding with a Pillion 
    Diamond Member
    Make sure your insurance allows pillions as well as the other top advice above.

9. Re: Riding with a Pillion 
    another thing is if you take a pillion thats not used to going on a bike they may be more nervous then you, i have had this where the pillion doesn't lean into corners with you, best bet is to get them to hold onto you and to lean with the bike(may sound obvious but some people will try to remain sat upright).

o and take it easier with a pillion as it can feel completely different to normal.

10. Re: Riding with a Pillion 
    Make sure you decide on clear but simple actions so you both understand what each other is doing on the bike.
    I knew if my left leg was tapped it meant hold on tight as I'm going to accelerate.
    I was told to tap helmet if I needed stop for any reason.
    And under breaking especially heavy that putting my hands on the tank kept my weight off the rider.
    All made for an enjoyable time on the back of a bike.
    The worst ride was with a complete eejit who I think was riding to try and impress, I can tell you it didn't!!!
    >
    It's Lilac... not pink!