Notices

Thread: Fitting crash bungs

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Fitting crash bungs 
    Diamond Member
    The only set of crash bungs I can find for my bike, come in at just over £100!!! Does that seem about right?

What's doubley annoying, is that they can't be fitted without holesawing a 25mm hole in my fairing as the spot to bolt them is hidden behind the plastics.

Does anyone know of a cheaper, and less destructive way to mount some protection? I've already signed up to 1 trackday this summer so I figure it's probably a good idea to fit some...?

2. Re: Fitting crash bungs 
    My R6 came with them mounted already but the dealer had to cut some of the fairing away to get two of them in the first place.

I would rather cut 25mm away than have to replace the entire fairing after sending it down the road/track, you can only tell any has been cut away from mine when you look really really close as well as the crash bung hides it.

3. Re: Fitting crash bungs 
    Platinum Member
    I had to cut the fairing for my ninja, looked around but there was no other option. Drill from the inside of the fairing out, that way if the drill slips it wont scratch a visible part of the fairing.

4. Re: Fitting crash bungs 
    Price seems very good... The R&G ones I got for the sv were more than that!!!

As to cutting your fairing, get a scruffy second hand set and put them of for tracking, and cut a hole in them!!
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

5. Re: Fitting crash bungs 
    Diamond Member
    Good idea, I hadn't thought of that! I have just sent a request through a breakers site. Can anyone recommend anywhere worth looking for a cheap set of fairings? Is/are there any other parts worth getting protection for or spares of?

6. Re: Fitting crash bungs 
    SQ, just in case you didn't know, Nooj can fit crash bungs!
    It's Lilac... not pink!

7. Re: Fitting crash bungs 
    Diamond Member
    Am thinking about a set of these (on the right shaped fairings of course!). You can have any colour & sticker scheme from any bike, on any other bikes fairing.

£440!!!! Plus they will replace any Yamaha stickers with Kawasaki ones and put the 46 on for me

Gay? Possibly. Sad? Almost definately! Do I still want them? You bet!

8. Re: Fitting crash bungs 
    It's your bike and your cash! If you like it go for it!
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

9. Re: Fitting crash bungs 
    Diamond Member
    I heard that fitting a race replica fairing will increase my riding abilities and add lots of BHP to my power output.....

10. Re: Fitting crash bungs 
    Some bungs don't need holes drilling, a friend of mine had a 2002 R6 that had a good set (weren't R&Gs) that used the front engine mounts and didn't interfere with the plastics. They stood up very well to a big stack at Cadwell's Gooseneck, much better than R&Gs in my experience... didn't save the bodywork though; both sides and top of the fairing, tank and tail unit were toast :'( To be honest, bungs only really work for static and low speed drops - useful in that respect but they may only limit damage to an extent at higher speed; a panel may be damaged rather than obliterated...
    As for fitting through a panel, it's quite easy - slacken off the engine mount in question and withdraw the bolt a way, daub tippex or white paint on the bolt head and then refit the panel (correctly!) so the bolt head touches the inside to mark its position (may take a few goes to get the bolt the right distance out) - once the position is marked, drill through from the inside with a drill the same size as the centre drill of the hole saws that you'll be using (5 or 6mm) - now your hole saw will cut in the right position. Next step doesn't matter which side you go from - if you're steady of hand and have someone holding the panel flat and steady, you can go from the outside, your choice. Fit the correct diameter hole saw securely to the drill chuck, spin the drill fast IN REVERSE and cut through using the pilot hole for guidance. Cutting in reverse is a very useful trick with plastics, the drill or cutter doesn't snatch when it breaks through, especially useful when drilling screw holes in number plates and fairing screens as they can crack when the material snatches.
    Simples 8-)
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen