Notices

Thread: power loos, not all cylinders are working GSX600F

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: power loos, not all cylinders are working GSX600F 
    It's an air cooled engine, so head gasket is not likely to be the cause of white residue in the oil. Normally the residue is down to water getting into the oil. If you've done a lot of short journeys where the engine doesn't get up to temperature, condensation can build up in the engine producing the same affect. Being an air cooled engine, I also find it hard to believe it's overheated at this time of year. Maybe back in the summer, whilst sitting in traffic? I wouldn't be convinced it's overheated... :-?
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

2. Re: power loos, not all cylinders are working GSX600F 
    I think the GSX is oil cooled... but that's only circulating the engine oil.

The problem sound similar to the one the GS had a while back. That was carburation. Check the plugs when it plays up.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

3. Re: power loos, not all cylinders are working GSX600F 
    Platinum Member
    Could be carb icing at this time of year, only way to be sure is splosh some Silkolene pro fst or IPA into a tankful.

4. Re: power loos, not all cylinders are working GSX600F 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch9128
    IPA into a tankful.
    Is that Wadworths?? ;D Only kidding!

Is a damed good idea. A capful in a tank is all you need to find out.

"there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

5. Re: power loos, not all cylinders are working GSX600F 
    Jon W - engine can start with little delay and than it goes to run on all 4 cyl., but I was forced to stop on the way to London going 65mph, not reving it nothing to make it bad - still it goes to no power for no reason
    I am unable to check plugs as I am on the road and it will go away after few minutes so I can continue my jurney, but then I am watching my revs even more.

Mitch - I am using additivs both for car and bike from time to time and I was no it whan it all happened - but it does not realy make a difference on cold start for me i think. But I will try your Silkolene...

Able T - I have had several old (teenage times) cars and I still remember how they overhated. I know it is barely possible to overheat engine in +5, but that is what it looked like :'( I am thinking maybe cylinder rings are not holding and pressure goes to oil causing some side effects (white residude)

On the good side the little burning smell just after starting a bike is gone now - I hope for good and it is a good sign I hope :-?

Worst thing that I would have to rebuild the engine ?!?! - the bike is not worth putting in that much money in it :-/ :-/ :-/

6. Re: power loos, not all cylinders are working GSX600F 
    Platinum Member
    If as you say above you were cruising and suffered power loss, then after stopping it went after a min, then it deffo sounds like carb icing. The old oil cooled lump in your bike is prone, as is mine. Get some Silkolene Pro Fst asap, use as directed.

7. Re: power loos, not all cylinders are working GSX600F 
    Thakns Mitch I will buy one and apply asap.
    I was using my bike at around +1 this winter - so you right

Todays test ride -

20 miles reasonable revs, no problems
    red light and my right hand went out of control - rev hard up to 120mph and just after a mile it happened again.
    Stopped and with bit cold hands I have touched oil radiator in front - it was too cold to warm my hand ?!?!
    When I checked engine casing, sides - burning effect.

2 minutes later started the bike and went no problems :-/

So the engine was hot (do not think too hot) - but oil radiator was cold. Is that normal??? Have I got any problem with cooling part of oil....

8. Re: power loos, not all cylinders are working GSX600F 
    I had a similar problem with my old GSX1100.
    I put some "magic bullet" fuel additive in the tank and went for a long ride, used all the tank, topped up with fuel and put in new plugs. It was fine after that. The magic bullet mix cleans the whole fuel system and de-cokes the engine at the same time. Bloody fantastic results. http://addthemagic.com/store/

9. Re: power loos, not all cylinders are working GSX600F 
    If you're giving it the beans, and then it starts to misbehave, it's likely to be carb icing. The hared the engine is worked, the more cold air is rushing through the carbs. It's the cold air rushing in that causes the icing. Gentle riding and it's less likely to happen. Our GS's smell like they're overheating when the carbs ice up. Stick in the Pro FST, give it some welly, and see if it does it again.
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

10. Re: power loos, not all cylinders are working GSX600F 
    Thanks for all advice

Able - I will buy some Pro FST very soon and will try it asap. I will have a test ride over the weekend 70 miles so I will find out.

Thanks all ;D ;D