Notices

Thread: Doh!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: Doh! 
    I'd Steer well clear of using Engine Oil on a filter dude.. Air Filter oil is totally different!

Engine oil dosn't trap the dust particles like air filter oil mate.
    Its the wrong consistency too meaning it will drip etc.

Whoever told you to use that needs their head checkin!

Tbh... Don't panic about what oil may of got sucked in, it wont do any harm really, you'd be surprised at how little it would of sucked in..

Most bikes airboxes have lil trumpets (velocity stacks) and the air pressure wouldn't normally be enough to lift the oil over th stacks and into the throttle bodies.

personally i'd remove filter and re-clean... then re-oil with the proper filter oil...

clean out any excess thats got into the airbox...

Wipe cleans the throttle bodies if any got on them...

The hot exhaust will burn off anything else.... might smoke a lil.. will be blue-ish in colour, but don't panic its just cooking the oil off.

I use to own a rally car several years back....i accidentally tipped oil onto the manifold.... this smoked for days until it was burnt off! oops

Defo Don't ask wikipedia for advice mate..... that site isn't gospel its a collection of opinions collated by many people...

and those people often know 'jack!'

Your haynes manual should definately have this in it... and so shud the Kawasaki manual too...

I use to race motocross and us mx boys know a thing or too about regularly sorting are airfilters, as we have to do that after every race.

Hope you get it sorted

2. Re: Doh! 
    Diamond Member
    Thanks wk. Will get some filter oil when I get paid on thurs. Hopefully will be ok til then

3. Re: Doh! 
    Diamond Member
    engine oil isnt "waterproof" it forms an emulsion and goes all "gloopy" (technical terms!)....
    there are a few gear oils that are actually stable in water, and if you really want to use an oil use some of these EP90's.
    when you get water onto your air filter, from damp days, spray, rain etc it will form a gloop...

the spray cans of filter oil are fantastic, put some waste paper down, put your filter on top and spray the filter. leave it for a bit to go "tacky" (another technical term) and put the filter back in.

you really want to be removing the engine oil from that filter......

4. Re: Doh! 
    Diamond Member
    I have some filter oil on order, will be in store tomorrow. I tried Halfords, Triumph & GW's and none had any in last week...