Notices

Thread: Doh!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Doh! 
    Diamond Member
    Think I might be posting quite a lot in this section in the next few weeks

Have just done my air filter clean and re-oiling. The instructions were great - you can use engine oil or filter oil but let it soak for around 20 mins, then replace the filter and refit the box lid etc.

At no point did it say wring out the excess oil from the filter, so now it's dripped down my downpipes and into the rag I'd left under the bike!

If it's just a little oil I can clean up, I'm not bothered, but can it get into the carbs etc, and will the engine be able to breathe? Or will I need to take it all apart again, wring it out and then pop it back in?

I knew I should have just got someone else to do it! But I want to learn it for myself. I just don't want to ride off on it now if it might cause a major problem.

Thanks to anyone that posts to help. Don't want to sound like a numpty all the time!

2. Re: Doh! 
    sounds like you need to come along to the mechanics thing tomorrow morning mate! (incidentally I don't know the answer to your question which is why I'm going tomorrow!)
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

3. Re: Doh! 
    Diamond Member
    Whether any oil gets further than the airbox depends on the design of the airbox. But thinking logically, the engine pulls air from the airbox to the carbs/injectors so that where any oil would end up. If it was me I would clean out as much excess thats leaked into the airbox as you can, let the filter itself drain overnight, refit and take it for a blat, sorry ride.

4. Re: Doh! 
    Platinum Member
    Engine oil? Surely thats not thick enough or tacky enough to stay on the filter? It would just get sucked into the carbs over time? What filter is it? Im presuming its a foam one if you can wring it out?

5. Re: Doh! 
    Diamond Member
    It is a foam one.

This will teach me for knowing a bit about how to do a job, and relying on wikipedia for the rest!

I have however taken the filter out, wrung it out and re-fitted it all now. Bike started ok. Bit of smoke came off the down tubes when they got hot but it settled after a bit.

On the plus side, I've learnt lots ready for next time!

6. Re: Doh! 
    Platinum Member
    You may find it will smoke for a bit from the exhaust as any excess oil is 'pulled' through the system

And also I agree that really you should have used filter oil as it is stickier so holds onto the dust and crap particles better

7. Re: Doh! 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed_Fly
    It is a foam one.

This will teach me for knowing a bit about how to do a job, and relying on wikipedia for the rest!

I have however taken the filter out, wrung it out and re-fitted it all now. Bike started ok. Bit of smoke came off the down tubes when they got hot but it settled after a bit.

On the plus side, I've learnt lots ready for next time!
    You used Wikipedia???? They didn't tell you to put 4 Litres of GTX on it did they? Bit of advice, get a proper manual or Colin to sort it out for you.

8. Re: Doh! 
    Platinum Member
    Invest in a Haynes manual or similar if you dont know what you are doing its written by people who know what they are doing, itll save you money in the long run. Or as Snowy says give it to someone who knows what they are doing and watch! Anyone can write an article on Wikipedia and whos to say they know what they are doing! :-?

9. Re: Doh! 
    Diamond Member
    I have got a haynes manual. And the official kawasaki workshop service manual

10. Re: Doh! 
    Haynes book of lies are great for showing you how to do things ,Use the official one for torque settings and measurements etc.
    The Haynes manual for my bike says i should have 2 H4 bulbs for headlights but in fact there H1 and H3 ffs.
    Also join a Kawasaki UK forum for your bike you'll get loads of info on those as well