Notices

Thread: My chain is crunching...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: My chain is crunching... 
    Platinum Member
    Im thinking extra tight would cause both premature sprocket carrier bearing wear & a stretched & knackered chain? Extra loose would put less stress on the chain?

2. Re: My chain is crunching... 
    Quote Originally Posted by 470four
    Depends on the warrenty? If bought from new the bike may have a two year warrenty, in which case it is their problem

Best check your paperwork?
    Its 2 years, So will still be under.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Able
    Chain and sprockets, and wheel bearings aren't covered under a warranty. They are classed as service items.

Sounds to me like the chain has been run dry of lube, and is now on it's last legs. Ask a proffesional to inspect it.
    Possibly, it was dry for a while.
    Ive given it a HUGE coat of WD40 to last until wednesday.

No, hasn't been extra tight, I think it may have been loose this time 'cause my mate thought it would be funny to constantly bump into the back of me.
    I shall ask an expert ASAP.
    Thanks all!

3. Re: My chain is crunching... 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor911
    [quote author=470four link=1301940996/6#6 date=1301946348]Depends on the warrenty? If bought from new the bike may have a two year warrenty, in which case it is their problem

Chain and sprockets, and wheel bearings aren't covered under a warranty. They are classed as service items.

Sounds to me like the chain has been run dry of lube, and is now on it's last legs. Ask a proffesional to inspect it.

No, hasn't been extra tight, I think it may have been loose this time 'cause my mate thought it would be funny to constantly bump into the back of me.
    Thanks all![/quote]

Might be better not to mention the last bit if you're making a warranty claim ;D

4. Re: My chain is crunching... 
    Platinum Member
    Errrm...

WD40 will rinse off any chainlube that may have been left on the chain, its properties as a chainlube are minimal to say the least! Best get yourself some proper lube Pronto.

P.S. what bike is this??

5. Re: My chain is crunching... 
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme
    [quote author=Taylor911 link=1301940996/11#11 date=1301948483][quote author=470four link=1301940996/6#6 date=1301946348]Depends on the warrenty? If bought from new the bike may have a two year warrenty, in which case it is their problem

Thanks all![/quote]

Might be better not to mention the last bit if you're making a warranty claim ;D [/quote]

Definitely not!! :P

Oh will it?
    Damn, I will. Ill get some tomorrow!

Its a Ninja 250R.

6. Re: My chain is crunching... 
    Platinum Member
    Your "funny" mate may OWE you for new bearings and/or chain... :

Ride safe til its sorted...

7. Re: My chain is crunching... 
    Quote Originally Posted by 470four
    Your "funny" mate may OWE you for new bearings and/or chain... :

Ride safe til its sorted...
    Aye, Too right!
    Very unfunny.

Cheers, mate.

8. Re: My chain is crunching... 
    Platinum Member
    If somebody, mate or not - repeatedly rode their bike into the back of mine I would ziptie their hands & feet & let them see the humour content in me trying to run over their head.

9. Re: My chain is crunching... 
    Diamond Member
    aaaaah, you need a can of "chain un-cruncher"...try searching on google...

no, seriously, where do you live? one of us grubby mechanic types could have a quick squint at it for you, theres a lot of helpful people on here.
    im tidworth way, and green man has a very cheap business rate for WBers if youre more trowbridge way....
    or better yet, turn up at one of the meets and youll be fighting us grubby types off!

10. Re: My chain is crunching... 
    Have you got a stand for it? I've not idea if that has a centre stand or if you have an Abba stand or a paddock stand.

Get the rear wheel off the floor and get one one side of the bike.

Spin the wheel by hand, do you hear the same noise? If so see if you can get a mate to spin it while you crawl along the length of the chain to see where the noise is coming from.

Grab the wheel at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions and try to rock it, do you feel any freeplay? Do the same in the 3 and 9 O'clock positions, do you feel any play?

Check the sprockets and see what condition they are in for wear and tear