Notices

Thread: Chain loose, wheel nut seized tight

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
  1. Re: Chain loose, wheel nut seized tight 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme
    [quote author=Squashed_Fly link=1304443038/22#22 date=1304603801][quote author=BMWGraeme link=1304443038/21#21 date=1304601119][quote author=Squashed_Fly link=1304443038/17#17 date=1304517077]Just a side note - the garage/shop doesn't have any liability unless you notice a problem before driving it away.

My dad had a similar problem with his car. One garage did a service on it. He noticed a problem with it after driving it and took it to another garage. They basically said the part in question (can't remember what it was now but principle the same) had been taken off, and over tightened when put back and the entire part had to be removed and replaced costing over £500!!! Dad called a solicitor and they said no point pursuing it as the garage can claim that the damage was done after it left their premises and you have no way of proving otherwise. So he was left having to pay a costly bill for someone else mistake...
    I'm no lawyer and accept I might be wrong, but my thinking would be they are breaching their contract under the Sales of Goods Act over the service they have agreed to provide of satisfactory quality and to standard.

Maybe more importantly, they have also breached their legal responsibilities under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 - specifically under Section 3.

Agreed, somethings can be difficult to prove, but that doesn't mean the legal liability is not there. Sometimes when you start to use such terminolgy, in a controlled and confident way they cave. I have used this tactic on several occasions always to good effect so far.
    [/quote]

You're right, but so long as you realise when you pick the vehicle up, or within minutes of leaving. The moment you get home and do anything that involves spanners etc, you could be deemed to have caused the issue yourself, then it becomes a long drawn out battle of trying to prove they did the bodge job, not you (or another garage) after leaving.

The solicitors my dad spoke to, said he was within his rights to pursue the matter under the laws you mentioned, but it would expensive for him, and would almost certainly be pointless unless he could prove that it was the work the garage did that caused the issue. And of course he had no way of doing so as they had signed the work off as complete and ok, and they are 'trained professionals' (I use the term loosely!)

It was very bitter (and expensive) pill to swallow....[/quote]

So the solicitor did say he could pursue it after the event then? Of course it's easier if you know there's a problem whilst on the premises, but you still maintain your rights and they maintain their liability after you leave. I agree it becomes more difficult but the laws don't change once you drive off the forecourt.

As an example, how could you be expected to tell that as part of a service and one which is itemised on an invoice, they have changed an oil filter and put in 4L of Castrol's finest? Thats the point - you can't. And you cannot be expected to know and a judge would take that into consideration as part of any litigation if your engine blew 100 miles later.

Of course, if you have stripped the engine down yourself in the meatime you're screwed.... [/quote]

B_M - im a solicitor (although not a litigator) but I can get one of my colleagues to give you a call tomorrow for a bit of initial freebie advice if you like to see if it's worth pursuing? PM me your number if you would like me to pass your details on

2. Re: Chain loose, wheel nut seized tight 
    Platinum Member
    Could have they forgotten to put the wheel spacers back on the spindle and the sprocket is fouling the swing arm?

3. Re: Chain loose, wheel nut seized tight 
    Quote Originally Posted by crewy
    Could have they forgotten to put the wheel spacers back on the spindle and the sprocket is fouling the swing arm?
    No, it's not constant enough to be anything like that.

It's got worse now and really sounds like something inside the wheel, rather than rubbing externally.

4. Re: Chain loose, wheel nut seized tight 
    I think the axle nut is a 22mm but Haynes manual says torqued to 117NM

5. Re: Chain loose, wheel nut seized tight 
    Turns out the sprocket carrier bearing was shot and the seal gone; loose chain and tight nut were just red herrings. I blame Fish Hill lol

Hopefully not long til I'm back on the road ;D

6. Re: Chain loose, wheel nut seized tight 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by b_m1957
    Turns out the sprocket carrier bearing was shot and the seal gone; loose chain and tight nut were just red herrings. I blame Fish Hill lol

Hopefully not long til I'm back on the road ;D
    Don't go blaming my ride out lol - hope you get it sorted soon

7. Re: Chain loose, wheel nut seized tight 
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda_Star
    Don't go blaming my ride out lol - hope you get it sorted soon
    More my riding :

8. Re: Chain loose, wheel nut seized tight 
    Glad ita a straight forward fix then, catch up with u again soon,

9. Re: Chain loose, wheel nut seized tight 
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossio
    Glad ita a straight forward fix then, catch up with u again soon,
    Once that's done I'll be listening again to that front sprocket!

10. Re: Chain loose, wheel nut seized tight 
    You'l be being full time dad by then lol, so good luck with your new born when he/she arrives if I don't see you before then,