Notices

Thread: Chain loose, wheel nut seized tight

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Chain loose, wheel nut seized tight 
    I've spoken to the garage and the guy insists that if the nut is that tight, the chain couldn't have become loose unless something else was wrong; he's suggested checking the rear sprocket.

Will check that when I get home... is he right about the chain? I've always rated this place but can't believe that the wheel nut could hold the chain in proper tension under load, however tight it was.

???

2. Re: Chain loose, wheel nut seized tight 
    Quote Originally Posted by b_m1957
    I've spoken to the garage and the guy insists that if the nut is that tight, the chain couldn't have become loose unless something else was wrong; he's suggested checking the rear sprocket.

Will check that when I get home... is he right about the chain? I've always rated this place but can't believe that the wheel nut could hold the chain in proper tension under load, however tight it was.

???
    Any ideas on the size of socket required? May be able to help.

3. Re: Chain loose, wheel nut seized tight 
    [quote author=Jon_W link=1304443038/7#7 date=1304491653]Have had this, is VERY annoying.

Send it back!
    Can't ride it!!!

Am I wasting my time trying again with a large adjustable spanner?[/quote]

Beg pardon.

Go careful with an adjustable. You can easily round the nut or worse knuckle the bike, floor etc.

Best bet is to geta socket and a long breaking bar. Safer all round.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

4. Re: Chain loose, wheel nut seized tight 
    I will check the sprocket tonight (it's a Thundercat).

I think I'll leave the spanner in my toolbox and maybe try to get hold of a socket set!

5. Re: Chain loose, wheel nut seized tight 
    Hi Ben I can swing ivermectin with a breaker and socket tonight if you want?

6. Re: Chain loose, wheel nut seized tight 
    Ivermectin? Funny swore I wrote over? Ah well u get the drift ;D

7. Re: Chain loose, wheel nut seized tight 
    I've spoken to the garage ........ he's suggested checking the rear sprocket.
    That simple statement shows the frightening level of his incompetence and lack of knowledge about bikes - pray tell me, how or what could the sprocket do to leave the chain really loose? : Whether the spindle nut is adequately or excessively tight, the chain will be loose because the adjusters have been messed with - probably slackened off to "allow" the chain to be removed from the sprocket by some eejit who shouldn't be allowed to work on a bike, and not correctly adjusted afterwards - probably a car "mechanic" who knows nothing about bikes at all >

What sort of tool were you using to try and undo the nut anyway Ben? You'd need either a large ring spanner or a socket and breaker bar, but NEVER NEVER NEVER an adjustable spanner, it's the bodger's favourite tool! :
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

8. Re: Chain loose, wheel nut seized tight 
    Diamond Member
    Just a side note - the garage/shop doesn't have any liability unless you notice a problem before driving it away.

My dad had a similar problem with his car. One garage did a service on it. He noticed a problem with it after driving it and took it to another garage. They basically said the part in question (can't remember what it was now but principle the same) had been taken off, and over tightened when put back and the entire part had to be removed and replaced costing over £500!!! Dad called a solicitor and they said no point pursuing it as the garage can claim that the damage was done after it left their premises and you have no way of proving otherwise. So he was left having to pay a costly bill for someone else mistake...

9. Re: Chain loose, wheel nut seized tight 
    Who in Swindon did the work (PM me if you like).

10. Re: Chain loose, wheel nut seized tight 
    I never denied being a bodger! (I'm an accountant... I'm not useless with a spanner but it's not my forte :-/)

Rear sprocket was suggested when I said it was making a grinding sound, not sure the chain was as loose as I thought now.

Seems the garages only problem was super-tightening the nut; sounds badly like rear wheel bearing now, and maybe bearing at the front sprocket too.

I think I need an expert to look at it (next step is begging phone call for father in law to bring jeep + trailer over ;D)