Notices

Thread: Chain loose, wheel nut seized tight

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. Chain loose, wheel nut seized tight 
    I had a new rear tyre a week or so ago, changed professionally. It's been fine since then and I gave it some stick at the weekend once I'd worn the tyre in.

Since that ride, it started making a terrible noise like I was dragging something plastic along. I got the bike on the stand and it's obvious that the chain is far too loose; the top half of the chain is rubbing and catching along its bottom edge. So I tried the wheel nut so I could tension the chain properly and it was seized.

Are these problems likely to be related or is it more likely that the garage have just tightened the wheel nut more than I do? Any suggestions/tips???

Hopefully it's just a case of getting the wheel nut loose, tensioning the chain and all's good, but I want to check it's nothing more sinister first.

Cheers

2. Re: Chain loose, wheel nut seized tight 
    I'd take it back to the garage that did the tyre. They may have cross threaded the nut. As for the chain being so loose it drags, i've never seen a chain that loose before. Get it looked at asap.

3. Re: Chain loose, wheel nut seized tight 
    "changed professionally" you say? :-? :-? :-?
    Any bike mechanic with more than a couple of brain cells should know that you don't need to touch chain adjustment when removing the rear wheel, the chain tension should have been exactly as it was before you took it there - sounds like the individual who performed this "service" (and I use the word advisedly) for you didn't have a clue what they were doing - take it back to the place and demand that they sort it out immediately. If they argue the toss you could threaten legal action as they've returned your bike to you in an unsafe condition > > >
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

4. Re: Chain loose, wheel nut seized tight 
    What makes you think they adjusted the chain tension? Like I said, over 100 miles and a decent ride before any problems.

Is there anything that can make a chain suddenly lose tension? e.g. bust front sprocket?

I will give the garage I used a call tomorrow but can't take it back at the moment... it's not rideable.

5. Re: Chain loose, wheel nut seized tight 
    Sounds like it's been tightened with an air-gun. Bad news if so. >
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

6. Re: Chain loose, wheel nut seized tight 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Able
    Sounds like it's been tightened with an air-gun. Bad news if so. >
    Ditto...

Airgun at 200n/m to remove & tighten the wheelnut (heaven forbid they should actually use hand tools... ) then the wheel has been tensioned by pulling the spindle back and doing the axle nut up in a BMX-stylee, not by doing up the tensioner bolts? - as you have been riding the bike the axle has no tensioner bolts to push against & so gets pulled forward by the chain pull, hence a slack & floppy chain... :

W*nkers. Get them to come out and sort the bike, if they kick off then quote the phone number for Rogue Traders.

7. Re: Chain loose, wheel nut seized tight 
    Quote Originally Posted by 470four
    [quote author=Mark_Able link=1304443038/4#4 date=1304453214]Sounds like it's been tightened with an air-gun. Bad news if so. >
    Ditto...

Airgun at 200n/m to remove & tighten the wheelnut (heaven forbid they should actually use hand tools... ) then the wheel has been tensioned by pulling the spindle back and doing the axle nut up in a BMX-stylee, not by doing up the tensioner bolts? - as you have been riding the bike the axle has no tensioner bolts to push against & so gets pulled forward by the chain pull, hence a slack & floppy chain... :

W*nkers. Get them to come out and sort the bike, if they kick off then quote the phone number for Rogue Traders.
    [/quote]
    Thanks, that makes some sense.

I'm a bit surprised cos I've always rated the service I get there... I'll give 'em a call and get it sorted.

8. Re: Chain loose, wheel nut seized tight 
    Have had this, is VERY annoying.

Send it back!
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

9. Re: Chain loose, wheel nut seized tight 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    Have had this, is VERY annoying.

Send it back!
    Can't ride it!!!

Am I wasting my time trying again with a large adjustable spanner?

10. Re: Chain loose, wheel nut seized tight 
    Platinum Member
    Yes, probably? Will need a socket & long breaker-bar methinks? Anyone in the Swindon area?