Notices

Thread: Help diagnosing dodgy engine noises?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: Help diagnosing dodgy engine noises? 
    If anyone can help me find a good one - I don't trust my own skills in selecting a good condition engine!

But you're quite right, that is the thing to do.

But also this is a good excuse to buy the second, bigger bike that my mum thinks I don't need
    100 Japanese horses now unmuzzled! Derestricted hooliganism has commenced...

2. Re: Help diagnosing dodgy engine noises? 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lunalupi
    If anyone can help me find a good one - I don't trust my own skills in selecting a good condition engine!

But you're quite right, that is the thing to do.

But also this is a good excuse to buy the second, bigger bike that my mum thinks I don't need
    Pick the engine up and shake it, any rattles means its a bad 'un

3. Re: Help diagnosing dodgy engine noises? 
    the cg125 engine is a very basic engine and very easy to fix i had a cuple of cg125s when i learnt to ride and thay are a very reliable engine even with high milage and thay are a very rattley engine due to the design of engine push rods rather than cam chain like on never bikes
    but if the engine is beond repare thay made so many of them over the years it will be very easy to find a replacement second hand engine
    it not unheard of for a cg 125 engine to go round the clock atleast once without brakeing down
    thay may sound rattlely but thay keep going

4. Re: Help diagnosing dodgy engine noises? 
    The CG engine is a pretty simple unit and ideal as a first engine strip.

Ref a new engine, there should be plenty of old CG's around. Look for crash bikes as well. You can take what you want and flog the remainder.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

5. Re: Help diagnosing dodgy engine noises? 
    Thanks guys making me feel better - even if Stanley is thumping like a good 'un. Hey, at least people can hear me coming, especially combined with the old school 'proper' exhaust, not one of these wimpy moped style ones
    100 Japanese horses now unmuzzled! Derestricted hooliganism has commenced...

6. Re: Help diagnosing dodgy engine noises? 
    Try Forest Breakers at lydney 07854432806 Chris seems a straight guy just bought an engine for an SRX on the basis he would take it back if it was no good. I am sure some kind soul on this forum could pick it up for you.