Notices

Thread: Help diagnosing dodgy engine noises?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Help diagnosing dodgy engine noises? 
    Having got the valves on the CG adjusted thanks to some fine WB help, I now seem to have new problems... :

He has always been pretty noisy compared to other 125s, I assumed due to age and design, but now it's getting rather noticeable and worrying as he has been doing his best thumpy-pitbike-steam-engine impression lately :-/

• The most worrying noise is the 'thumping' from the engine
    • if I come to a sharpish halt, i.e. without pulling in the clutch and going down the gears slowly, there's an odd 'puffing' noise. (To my inexpert ears that sounded like a leak in the exhaust but I've looked and although it's rusty it appears to only have holes where it should have holes...)

Any ideas? Would welcome anyone who's local having a listen to help advise!

I'm not afraid to take things apart (with some help), but I'd just like to have a few ideas first as I use him for work, which means he can't be off the road for more than 2 days at a stretch (weekends) or I need to get another bike..!
    100 Japanese horses now unmuzzled! Derestricted hooliganism has commenced...

2. Re: Help diagnosing dodgy engine noises? 
    Would love to help you out Loops but don't have the know-how Maybe us girls should club together and buy a cheap bike just to take apart and put back together so we can learn a bit more about bikes? I don't think I've ever contributed anything useful in this part of the forum!! ;D But would like to

3. Re: Help diagnosing dodgy engine noises? 
    Hi i can always have a listen for you ? pm me if you need help

4. Re: Help diagnosing dodgy engine noises? 
    The "puffing" sounds like over-run. Is perfectly normal. If you want I'm free monday evening to take a look.

TBH, is probably you nioticing noises now that the valves are quieter.....
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

5. Re: Help diagnosing dodgy engine noises? 
    Jon, whizz, I'd love one of you to take a listen and either look at me in horror and tell me to take the bike of the road NOW and fix it, or assure me nothing is wrong ;D

Where are you based? I don't want either of you to have to go miles out of your way just to listen to an old bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemma_Nokes
    Would love to help you out Loops but don't have the know-how Maybe us girls should club together and buy a cheap bike just to take apart and put back together so we can learn a bit more about bikes? I don't think I've ever contributed anything useful in this part of the forum!! ;D But would like to
    Well if I ever find out mine needs interesting work then I'll let people know and you can all come help/watch! :P

6. Re: Help diagnosing dodgy engine noises? 
    Hi Loops i sent you a pm with my number just give me a ring and il pop over ok !

7. Re: Help diagnosing dodgy engine noises? 
    Loops you have pm

8. Re: Help diagnosing dodgy engine noises? 
    I think Gemma's idea is a great one, I reeeeaaaaalllllllllyyyyyyyy want to take an engine apart and put it back together again, maybe we could find an old classic and restore it and it could become our mascot?
    It's Lilac... not pink!

9. Re: Help diagnosing dodgy engine noises? 
    Well whizz has just been by and reckons the CG will need the engine rebuilding soon, although it's currently not terminal (but will become so!)

So once I've either got myself a second bike or a spare engine, I'll have an engine in need or a rebuild and I want to learn myself!

10. Re: Help diagnosing dodgy engine noises? 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lunalupi
    Well whizz has just been by and reckons the CG will need the engine rebuilding soon, although it's currently not terminal (but will become so!)

So once I've either got myself a second bike or a spare engine, I'll have an engine in need or a rebuild and I want to learn myself!
    Buy good engine (like £25 on ebay, or £40 a pair ) swap with yours so the bike is straight back on the road - strip, service and rebuild your old mota.

Sorted.