Notices

Thread: Baffle removal

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Baffle removal 
    I finally gave into temptation and decided it was time to remove my baffle from the exhaust. I managed to remove the retaining screw, but the baffle would not budge. On closer inspection it seems that the bottom part of the piece of metal holding the baffle in place is stuck in some form to the inner rim of the outer can. No doubt the answer is blatantly obvious and I'm being simply ignorant, but can anybody offer any suggestions as to how I can remove the baffle with the minimum of fuss. My initial thoughts are to spray WD40 on it in the hope it will loosen it up.

2. Re: Baffle removal 
    Diamond Member
    Chris its usually a case of gripping the inner baffle with some pliers (protect the baffle with some cloth) and yanking it out. WD40 beforehand might well help as they can be very tough to get out.

3. Re: Baffle removal 
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme
    Chris its usually a case of gripping the inner baffle with some pliers (protect the baffle with some cloth) and yanking it out. WD40 beforehand might well help as they can be very tough to get out.

I second that just make sure that there’s not a rivet on under side if not give it a good yank
    If it has a red line use it ....

4. Re: Baffle removal 
    Or that its welded in the Tailpipe as you could end up ruining your 'can'.....

Outta curiousity, have you got a spare exhaust for if its goes horribly wrong.... or even still that you remove it and its way too loud!

i don't have baffles either... just a straight through, full system.... i can honestly say i didn't realise it would be as loud as it is!! eeeeek!

But i do have a quiet core baffle insert for it that i can plug in to take the edge off a lil....

My advice is, make sure you have a plan B if you yank that out and its excessive! lol

Now just do it!!! lol

What you need is spuring on by Jaydee.. he's good at that kinda stuff! lol.

5. Re: Baffle removal 
    Platinum Member
    As above - WD40 and a cloth over the baffle flange before a wiggle with pliers, failing that give it a few light taps with a hammer to break the seal caused by all the carbon deposits, maybe mole grips if the flange is big enough?

Be assertive.

You only have to use it once a year for MOT's and the tester wont mark you down points if it shows a few marks...

If no joy try it again after you have been out for a long ride & the tailpipe is hot / after careful blowtorch application.

6. Re: Baffle removal 
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme
    sounds simple...so what went wrong on sunday when you and the geek were suppose to be doing mine on the airfield??

Special K xxx

7. Re: Baffle removal 
    Quote Originally Posted by roxychick
    [quote author=BMWGraeme link=1302124852/1#1 date=1302125492]Chris its usually a case of gripping the inner baffle with some pliers (protect the baffle with some cloth) and yanking it out. WD40 beforehand might well help as they can be very tough to get out.
    sounds simple...so what went wrong on sunday when you and the geek were suppose to be doing mine on the airfield??

Special K xxx[/quote]

Roxy next time your in the area pop in are take them out for you,,, and you will hear that bike sing to you lol
    If it has a red line use it ....

8. Re: Baffle removal 
    I beg ya pardon young lady?!?!

We are still on about exhaust right?? :-X

Hahaha "Special K".... love it!

Thomas

9. Re: Baffle removal 
    it's yet another new name! ;D ;D

I kinda like it! thanks G :-*

well I am special ;D ;D

Special K
    LMGS
    MFS
    LMDG
    Rox
    Roxy
    Roxster
    Roxaroo
    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

10. Re: Baffle removal 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by roxychick
    [quote author=BMWGraeme link=1302124852/1#1 date=1302125492]Chris its usually a case of gripping the inner baffle with some pliers (protect the baffle with some cloth) and yanking it out. WD40 beforehand might well help as they can be very tough to get out.

Special K xxx[/quote]

You have been blasting that Ars6 of yours so hard it's welded the baffle to the can ;D