Notices

Thread: Gravel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Gravel 
    Thanks to those who answered my question about covering the back brake. I have another one, and I'm even posting it in the right place this time! I was approaching a fairly tight right bend the other day and I noticed gravel in the middle of my lane and at the kerb side. To avoid the gravel I rode in the 'clean' section between the two areas of gravel. As a result I only just negotiated the bend - and I was only going slow. What is the right course of action in this situation? Should I just stick to my line and trust the tyres? If the bike starts to slip on gravel will it eventually regain grip, or is it the case that once it starts to go - that's it?! Any advice appreciated.

2. Re: Gravel 
    i always try to avoid it if i see it in time but its not always possible if theres lots of it

3. Re: Gravel 
    Every situation is different, but you will normally find your gut instinct is the wrong one.

You obviously chose the correct course of action as you came out the other side but the temptation to brake or swerve agressively can land you in trouble.

Loose surfaces are the exception to the braking rule I gave earlier. Try and scrub off any excessive speed using the rear brake if the front becomes unstable but be aware that your cornering will suffer while on the brakes.

If you get the chance have a read of Keith Codes book A Twist of the wrist. It explains how our natural responses to danger in life don't help when riding.

4. Re: Gravel 
    'Twist of the Wrist II' is the best book in my opinion... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

As regards gravel, if it's only a small patch, you maybe lucky enough to have a small slide, and then find the tyres find grip again. But if it's a large patch or line of gravel, you have got to try to avoid. The tyre will slip too far to be able to recover again. Brake as much as possible before hitting the gravel, then try to keep the bike as upright as possible, whilst coming off the brakes. If you can see clearly around the corner, I would even go to the extent of riding onto the opposite side of the road, if necessary, to avoid deep gravel. We all have a natural tendency to tighten on the handlebars when we hit something slippery, but in actual fact, you want to do the opposite. Staying relaxed helps the bike self-compensate for small slides. Staying relaxed also gives you more feedback through the bars. Just as the steering goes light in a car when you hit slippery surfaces, so it does on the bike. But you'll only get that 'light' feel through the bars if you're relaxed. Plan well ahead for corners, and hopefully you won't be surprised when you get there.
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

5. Re: Gravel 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Able
    'Twist of the Wrist II' is the best book in my opinion... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]Just as the steering goes light in a car when you hit slippery surfaces, so it does on the bike. But you'll only get that 'light' feel through the bars if you're relaxed. Plan well ahead for corners, and hopefully you won't be surprised when you get there.
    I can vouch for that 'light' feeling... hitting a corner at normal speed and not realising it had just been re-surfaced with gravel, the handle bars felt like they'd completely snapped off! If I hadn't been relaxed (mainly because my observation was sh!te and I didn't know what was happening) I would have come off.

Do anything (safe) you can to avoid gravel if it's any more than a few stones. Practice your cornering so you're comfortable adjusting your line if you need to

6. Re: Gravel 
    Platinum Member
    Nasty stuff...
    Try to avoid the middle of the road in country lanes etc - if you DO find yourself slip-sliding away DONT grab the brake! You cant stop as - you have no traction... Try to go with it until you end up back on clear tarmac?

7. Re: Gravel 
    All very helpful. Have ordered A Twist of the Wrist. Cheers guys

8. Re: Gravel 
    Gravel....I ****ing hate it!! >

http://www.wiltshirebikers.co.uk/cgi...m=1174160668/0
    Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

9. Re: Gravel 
    Hmm.... you didn't ditch it so you must have done smothing correct!!!

Man thing is not to panic. Most to the barely made it sensation is the reflex to grip the bars it terror. Relax and you'll find the bike takes most corners.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

10. Re: Gravel 
    Go off-roading! Aside from being brilliant fun, it'll teach you heaps about bike control and how to react when wheels start moving around Until you've experienced it off-road, a slide or twitch on a road bike can be quite alarming, but once you're familiar with it happening you can take it in your stride. Well done for spotting the gravel and staying on by avoiding it. Some off-road skills will enable you to go through it in relative safety if avoiding it isn't an option...
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen