Notices

Thread: road noise????

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. road noise???? 
    I have just had a new front tyre fitted, I now get a noticable "rumble" from the front end when riding. As I have a centre stand, I've lifted the front wheel off the ground, span it manually and it spins quietly.
    Is this just road noise from the new tyre?? will it decrease as the tyre wears in?? :-?
    I've tried different tryre pressures and this makes no noticable difference.
    Any thoughts??? :-? :-?
    the noise is worse on more abrasive road surfaces, quieter on smooth, but I never noticed the noise before the new tyre was fitted.
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'

2. Re: road noise???? 
    what tyre is it mate? is it something differnt to ur norm?

3. Re: road noise???? 
    It's a bridgestone battlax BT02 and it's a 120 70 17 ,the original was a 110 70 17
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'

4. Re: road noise???? 
    it is possible your bearings have given up ..............i had some bearings go after a tyre change once. u woudlnt nessicarily hear it just spining the wheel as there is no load on the bearings. do you get any kind of grating feeling through the bars? does the front feel like it drifts in corners?

if its a different tyre to what your used to it could just be that...also .as u said give it some miles and it may quieten down slightly.

5. Re: road noise???? 
    Quick question - why did you fit a wider tyre than standard? The rim width will be sized for a 110, and going up a size on the front is quite a significant change... :-?

Being a wider tyre there'll be more rubber on the road Toph, and as suggested, it's worth checking your tyre pressures too. If you can get the front wheel off the deck (front stand or get someone to tilt the bike over on the side stand to lift it) you can try rocking the wheel to see if the bearings are ok, but they won't sound like regular road noise if they're shot.

Simple cure - fit earplugs! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

6. Re: road noise???? 
    Platinum Member
    +1

A 120 is a much bigger tyre?
    You wont feel anything by spinning the wheel even if you do have a shot bearing, the weight of the tyre and wheel will pull the wheel around anyways, drop the wheel out ,stick your finger in each bearing and rotate it? Its not illegal and your bike will appreciate it. Any notchiness etc and new beraings are cheap enough...

7. Re: road noise???? 
    Platinum Member
    Has the tyre/wheel been fitted with the correct direction of rotation ??

8. Re: road noise???? 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by silly_simon
    Has the tyre/wheel been fitted with the correct direction of rotation ??
    I think the tyre fitting machines only go one way?

All spacers present and correct??

9. Re: road noise???? 
    Diamond Member
    Toph, the bearings seemed fine, and there was no play, but worth another check...

if the noise is still there, we can change the tyre over again to a different one, and see if the noise is still there, if it goes then we will sort something, and if it stays we can put the 020 back on....

gissa shout fella :-)

10. Re: road noise???? 
    My missus scoot makes more road noise since having a new tyre fitted, checked the whole thing over and found nothing wrong.... seems to be that some tyres are noisier on the road than others.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"