Notices

Thread: Help adjusting valves?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Help adjusting valves? 
    I've been saying for months that I need to check and adjust the valves on the CG, but always chickened out as according to my Haynes manual it involves taking the top of the engine off and has scary pictures!

But it really really really does need checking now, I was wondering if anyone has the knowledge (and the more important tools) to help/show me how it's done?

(I have a driveway/garage, and can supply tea/food/beer as required - but no beer until the bike is back in one piece ;D)
    100 Japanese horses now unmuzzled! Derestricted hooliganism has commenced...

2. Re: Help adjusting valves? 
    Banned
    I think youre lucky with a CG as they are nice and easy compared to some, but as you say having someone else around to ease any 1st time fear factor would have your mind at rest. Aside from some slip guages you may have everything else already.

3. Re: Help adjusting valves? 
    Platinum Member
    Will have a look if you want?

4. Re: Help adjusting valves? 
    Platinum Member
    http://hondacg125.awardspace.com/valve_clearance.htm There really is a shedload of info on these engines on the interweb, great bike to start spannering on.

5. Re: Help adjusting valves? 
    Oh memories...

I started with a BSA C15 - all you needed in your toolbox was an adjustable spanner and a wire coat hanger - you could fix anything...

If you want to diy these days you need a tool kit that outstrips the cost of the bike...

6. Re: Help adjusting valves? 
    Is very easy and will take about an hour if you go steady. Ditto 470four, am happy to help if needed.

You will need:

spanners (10, 12, 14, 17mm)
    Feeler gauges (metric)
    Flat bladed screwdriver
    Soft mallet
    Haynes manual of similar

Remove the fuel tank and placse to one side. Remove the bolts in the rocker cover, loosen the rocker cover (you may need a light tap with the mallet), remove.

You will now see the cams and rockers. You need to adjust the crearances with the rocker in the fullt up position, i.e. on the round rear of the cam.

Rotate the engine using the kicker, until one valve in on the lower part, place the feeler guage between the head of the valve and the rocker. If it's loose it needs adjusting... adjust all the valves and then turn the engine over and double check.

Replace the rocker cover (you shouldn't need a new gasket as the rubber one is ment to be re-useable) replace the tank and off you go.

Whilst you have the rocker cover off, it's also worth checking the cam chain tension. That can cause a noise similar to badly adjusted valves.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

7. Re: Help adjusting valves? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    ...Whilst you have the rocker cover off, it's also worth checking the cam chain tension. That can cause a noise similar to badly adjusted valves.
    Loops will have fun looking for the camchain Jon, the CG uses pushrods if I'm not mistaken... :-?
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

8. Re: Help adjusting valves? 
    I stand corrected!! Was thinking of CB's....

Well spotted that man!
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

9. Re: Help adjusting valves? 
    Thanks Jon and 470four - while I realise it's very easy, I'd still appreciate having someone helping who has done it before and knows how it should go! I have most of the tools but no feeler gauges so will need to borrow some......
    Are either of you free one coming weekend to give me a hand?

I did get the CG thinking it would be a really good bike to learn this stuff on And I'm learning slowly. Although with the engine approaching 40k I think it's getting a bit puffed out so I might be learning alot more quickly soon!
    100 Japanese horses now unmuzzled! Derestricted hooliganism has commenced...

10. Re: Help adjusting valves? 
    Platinum Member
    Loops - you have PM.