Notices

Thread: front end confidence

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. front end confidence 
    hi

i have absolutley no confidence in my front end.

i had my wheel straightened which i thought was the problem. its still there.

would warped brake discs cause any issues ..when not braking??

the front just seems so skittish and wanders wide in corners and around town it just feels like the front isnt going where the rest of the bike is.

if anything id say the head bearings r shot....but i just had them replaced

when i turn the wheel by hand i can feel it has tight spots where i really have to make a effort to move the wheel around to the next point where it is smooth (which to me suggests something is bent) but if i take calipers off the wheel is free to move all the way.

the forks are due a re-build (as with most of the bike lol)

i have had the tyre checked by local firm who says its wearing fine and see's no signs of damadge or defect

help please guys its doing my nut in >

Dan

2. Re: front end confidence 
    you say when you take the calipers off it goes away, what about when you try one off at a time? havent pulled away with a disc lock on recently have you?
    take a look at ya pads, are they wearing evenly? maybe one side is sticking?

3. Re: front end confidence 
    Platinum Member
    Spin the front wheel and see if the pads are binding on the discs, any doubt drop the wheel out & remove the discs, checking each one for flatness by holding then against a suitably flat level surface (window...) any discrepancy will show as gaps / ablity to "roll" the disc - if they are bent / warped it would cause the above problems, seized calipers would cause the brake to stick on regardless of position.

The bikes engine will push the bike along even with severe binding, this will of course cause overheating / pad glazing & go towards boiling your brake fluid - not recommended...

4. Re: front end confidence 
    i have not tried with one off and one on i will do that.....no dont have a disc lock.

i cleaned up my pistons and calipers the other day and they operate fine...pads r pretty crap i must admit....discs ahve done @ least 13k

5. Re: front end confidence 
    Platinum Member
    & DONT pull the front brake lever if one or more caliper's is not on the disc (we've all done it... )

At best you will have to push your pistons & pads back in, repeat offending will pump the piston out completely pushing brake fluid all over your disc / pads / foot and you to swear like a ******* ***** ****

Oh yes.

6. Re: front end confidence 
    if it is a brake issue.....would this cause lack of grip....or what feels lack of grip??

7. Re: front end confidence 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NiteW4tcher
    if it is a brake issue.....would this cause lack of grip....or what feels lack of grip??
    Wouldnt help... when you brake the bike usually tries to right itself, a half-on brake would make the front push over any bad road surface (gravel, wet covers/lines etc)

Any contamination on the tyre? Has somebody had a play with the suspension settings that you know of?

(Tyre pressure?)

Terrible vagueness with the Ducati when I got it, just didnt feel planted? One new tyre later and it is SWEET. 8-)

8. Re: front end confidence 
    i have considered changign the tyre but funs mean i cant......the suspension hasnt been played with but the forks are way over due a fluid change

9. Re: front end confidence 
    Platinum Member
    Is this a recent problem or has it been this way for a while / got worse?

Kind greasy out yesterday which didnt help - back wheel slides can be fun, front wheel slides can be painful...

Got my new front tyre on eBay for £22.

10. Re: front end confidence 
    22 quid?? will a
    have to search about well it was there for about 2 months then i realised my front wheel was buckled.....assumed that was the problem got it back

but it just doesnt feel planted at all. i may replace pads/discs and see where that takes me......but dnt have the cash atm