Notices

Thread: Aaaaaarrrrgghhhgh!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Aaaaaarrrrgghhhgh!!!!! 
    Diamond Member
    Beyond frustrated trying to put my rear wheel back in!!!!

There must be a special way of doing it that the spacers don't catch either the swingarm (sprocket side) or brake caliper and drop out every time you lift the wheel into position???

Even tried getting Jen to hold the spacer in place, but then it won't quite get the right position when going back in and caught on the caliper.

Please someone, put me out of my misery and tell me the knack of doing it?

2. Re: Aaaaaarrrrgghhhgh!!!!! 
    Platinum Member
    Is the paddock stand pushing the swingarm together??

Always had a merry game trying to get my CBR400 rear wheel back in...

Try adding space blocks (wood, books, magazines etc) under the tyre to hold the wheel up while you jibble the axle through everything??

3. Re: Aaaaaarrrrgghhhgh!!!!! 
    Diamond Member
    Cheers! Will give it another go tomorrow with more light and less tiredness! I was about ready to throw the bike at the wall! lol

4. Re: Aaaaaarrrrgghhhgh!!!!! 
    Platinum Member
    Been there...

Top work on walking away before SMASHING EVERYTHING!

5. Re: Aaaaaarrrrgghhhgh!!!!! 
    I find its easier if you remove or swing the rear caliper out of the way,put grease on the spacers that help to hold them in place aswell

6. Re: Aaaaaarrrrgghhhgh!!!!! 
    Diamond Member
    What an absolute**** (Insert appropriate swearword here) of a job that was!!!!

I'm hoping the more you do it, the easier it gets! Trying to hold 2 spacers in, the caliper in the right position, and lift & manouevre the wheel all the same time, is definately a task thought up by a woman!

Don't they know men can't multitask? Oh hang on.... wait.... they must be able to as I did it!

In your face women! ;D

7. Re: Aaaaaarrrrgghhhgh!!!!! 
    I had a similer jig with the gpz rear wheel ,like you said if it wasnt the caliper moveing the spacers would fall out or twist ,and mags are so heavy ,took me ages and alot of cussing before it went together , i need to change my cushdrive rubbers , but keep putting it off as i cant be arsed to dance with the wheel again .

8. Re: Aaaaaarrrrgghhhgh!!!!! 
    EPIC FAIL.... ;D ;D ;D

There's no real secret to this job, just a bit of technique and patience, and making everything as easy for yourself as you can. Don't buy a paddock stand that heaves your rear wheel six inches off the floor, it only needs to be clear of the deck so it can move freely. Make sure your rear brake pistons and pads are pushed back into the caliper so they don't snag the disc on the way in, and support the tyre with your foot so you can have one hand free. Sometimes they go straight back in, and sometimes they don't and you have to persist. **** happens.

Race bikes on the other hand, are brilliant, especially endurance racers - captive spacers, captive calipers, captive thread for the spindle.. bliss With Phase One we could put the bike on both stands, change both wheels and have it off the stands and ready to go in ten seconds, about fourteen if we had to refuel too (24 litres)
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

9. Re: Aaaaaarrrrgghhhgh!!!!! 
    Diamond Member
    Think the it I missed was pushing the pads/pistons back so everytime I was trying to line it up, the tolerance was so small, it was catching the spacers and pulling them out when lifting the wheel!

You live you learn. It's all good experience - especially if I want spare wheels for track days next season so I can swap to wets if (WHEN!!) necessary.

10. Re: Aaaaaarrrrgghhhgh!!!!! 
    Have similar on the SV and the GS ans don't struggle.... Alas Scotty If youm have a top mounted brake caliper or a fender, you need the longer paddock stand to get the wheel in.

The tecnique I always use is to sit on the floor with the wheel on your legs, get the spindle in one end, lift the wheel with your legs with the spacers in roughly the correct place, get the spindle in through one spacer, alight the wheel, get it through the wheel, through the spacer and through the swing arm.

Simples
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"