Notices

Thread: front end confidence

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Re: front end confidence 
    yeah i know mate................head bearings are knoew but i will check for tightness.

wheel bearings did spring to mind. for the cost of them i will replace them anyhow

2. Re: front end confidence 
    Have you checked your headstock since the bearings were replaced. What you are describing sounds like a loose headstock. The bearings may have settled and need a bit of tightening.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

3. Re: front end confidence 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    Have you checked your headstock since the bearings were replaced. What you are describing sounds like a loose headstock. The bearings may have settled and need a bit of tightening.
    +1

After a while the new bearings will settle, meaning another nipup is needed...

Put your front brake on at standstill & push the bars hard back & forth - any major play will show up as "clack" in the headset... or get a ratchet strap around the headstock & a garage roof beam & raise the front end up.

4. Re: front end confidence 
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    It's blindingly obvious that if it binds intermittently with the brake calipers and pads fitted, you have a bent brake disc - did it get a whack when the wheel got bent? Normally with a warped disc you'll feel the lever pulsing when you pull on it. This sounds more than slightly warped though if it binds that much.
    Id agree with that defenatly brake disc knakered

5. Re: front end confidence 
    Diamond Member
    yeah, ask JD, he may have something nice and sticky :-)
    whats on there at the mo? is it "triangled" off???....

when you buckled the wheel, was there a MAJOR impact? i have known another GSXR thats broken a fork spring before through a front smack, handled like a sick pig... :-(

it does sound like you have a buckled disk tho, ride up the road and really gently apply the brakes, can you feel it pumping back to the lever? or grabbing and letting go of the disk?..

6. Re: front end confidence 
    there is something i ahve noticed..............sometimes (not everytime) when i am on the brakes i get a click....but then sometimes i think the click was when i turned the bars...i cant determine where it comes from because it only happens every so often. im pretty skint atm so new discs are off agenda......so the bike is just sitting there because i aint gonna ride it.

7. Re: front end confidence 
    oh and the front tyre is a maxxis sport mate..........never liked it tbh but if there is another problem i cannot outright blame the tyre

8. Re: front end confidence 
    Diamond Member
    click noise could be the pads moving just a weee bit in the caliper when they contact the disk, or it could be a broken spring.....
    very very uncommon to break a spring tho....

9. Re: front end confidence 
    Diamond Member
    was it the same tyre that you buckled the wheel with???...if so it needs changing VERY sharpish!....
    some times you cant even see the damage to the tyre...

pop on over, il have something that you can have cheap...