Notices

Thread: More power from my zx636

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: More power from my zx636 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by newnut
    1 tooth OFF the front is like going UP just under 3 teeth on the back. down on the front or up on the rear helps acceleration. drop one off the front and you'll notice a HUGE difference and shouldn't need a new chain unless its old.
    470four your getting mixed up. larger on the back helps acceleration or a smaller front sprocket. smaller rear or larger front aids top end but sacrifices acceleration
    Yep, youre right - had a truly trying & long day

2. Re: More power from my zx636 
    Diamond Member
    Incidentally, if you're doing this for insurance reasons, you might wanna call them first to find out the effect of the upgrades on your premiums. You may fing out is increased to not far off what just buying a 750 or a thou would cost you...

3. Re: More power from my zx636 
    Which model 636 is it? A Power Commander won't work on anything pre-2003 as they had carbs.... for carbs you'd need a dynojet kit (and dyno time to set it up properly)

I doubt that you'd need to disclose changing gearing to your insurance company, especially if it reduces the top speed. -1 tooth on the front is the easiest way to pep your bike up, +3 on the rear will have the same effect but rear sprockets are more expensive and you may need a new chain as the original could then be too short...
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

4. Re: More power from my zx636 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    I doubt that you'd need to disclose changing gearing to your insurance company
    Any modifications from standard should be notified. If you come out of a bend on a wet road, grab the throttle, and the extra 'punch' causes you to crash.... well you can see how that will end up when you try to claim, or someone claims against you.

It's up to you though. There was a debate about tyres in a previous thread which was a bit silly as you can't actually buy the 'exact' tyres now that were available 10 years ago, but a mod that improved acceleration should def be disclosed.

5. Re: More power from my zx636 
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed_Fly
    ...If you come out of a bend on a wet road, grab the throttle, and the extra 'punch' causes you to crash....
    That scenario would indicate that the rider in question has no idea how to ride in the wet and lobbing it is merely a matter of time, gearing will have nothing to do with it :

Precisely how would an insurance company know that gearing has been changed if only the front sprocket has been done? It's hidden away beneath a cover and short of removing it and comparing the number stamped on it with the original specification it's impossible to tell.

Cue SF beginning an endless exchange of contradictory points of view...
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

6. Re: More power from my zx636 
    Diamond Member

Nope, no contradictory statements - just a question.

Don't the insurance companies & police pay people to find out that kind out information? Or do they just look at it and say 'I don't know what caused it, here have a payout?'

As I said, you may never get found out for doing it. But is it a risk worth taking? only you can decide that, it's your bike not mine

7. Re: More power from my zx636 
    Platinum Member
    I doubt they would be that anal to go counting front & rear sprocket teeth, tbh...

8. Re: More power from my zx636 
    +1 lowering the gearing. Will make a difference. Also look at the induction and exhaust. You may not gain power this way, but you could gain a bit of torque.

Scotty,

Sf is correct that you, for due dilligence sake, should tell your insurer about any mods to the bike. If they dismiss it as not important (as they would in all probablaty) then fine and your covered. If you do not disclose it you face being un-insured and potentially in a lot of trouble with the law.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

9. Re: More power from my zx636 
    I rang my insurance changing the sprocket does not change it but a induction kit does

10. Re: More power from my zx636 
    on trackday riders they had a site wide competion on how to make your bike go faster/handle better but without spending a penny and not having to fess up to insurance.

they called it 'the tdr weight loss competion'

simple physics really - don't make it carry so much, power to weight ratio goes up, bike goes faster and handles better.