Notices

Thread: stud extractor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. stud extractor 
    hoping someone has a stud extractor i could borrow?? the front manifold bolts snapped off luckily the studs are still showing so shouldnt be too hard a fix, if you can help please let me know!
    thank yooooh

2. Re: stud extractor 
    Banned
    I have a couple of sizes of easy out's is that what you mean?

3. Re: stud extractor 
    I have a set of easyouts, but you will be lucky with manifold studs as thease are usually cooked in and have to be drilled and re-threaded.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

4. Re: stud extractor 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    I have a set of easyouts, but you will be lucky with manifold studs as thease are usually cooked in and have to be drilled and re-threaded.
    thats kinda what im worried about, but there is quite a bit of thread showing so its my best hope atm, fingers crossed

5. Re: stud extractor 
    Platinum Member
    Weld a bolt's thread's to the remaining threads, the heat will help release the threads - use a spanner to spin it on out

Try to avoid easy-outs if you can, they are the Devils work if you snap one off. >

6. Re: stud extractor 
    I've got a stud extractor set (external - not a drill in like ez-out) that tends to work for most things

If you want I can call round with it and see if we can get the stud out?

PM me if you want

7. Re: stud extractor 
    Don't use an "easyout" they are more trouble than they are worth, like Darren says, if you break one off, you're stuffed, if the thread is protruding a little, wind a nut onto the thread, weld the nut to the protruding thread and gently wind out with a spanner, the heat in the welding process will usually free off the broken stud. (assuming you have access to a welder!)
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'

8. Re: stud extractor 
    Banned
    An alternative I've done is grind flats on the remaining thread and use a spanner to fit perhaps

9. Re: stud extractor 
    Quote Originally Posted by python
    Don't use an "easyout" they are more trouble than they are worth, like Darren says, if you break one off, you're stuffed, if the thread is protruding a little, wind a nut onto the thread, weld the nut to the protruding thread and gently wind out with a spanner, the heat in the welding process will usually free off the broken stud. (assuming you have access to a welder!)
    thats the way i do it when the skid steer shears its hydro pump bolts, dont know if a manifold stud will take it??what if i were to give it a roasting with the oxy actylene first?

10. Re: stud extractor 
    full workshop access but our stud extractors are a bit agricultural and wont quite go small enough