Notices

Thread: NC 30 - need help with final hurdle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. NC 30 - need help with final hurdle 
    hey folks

I have a VFR NC30 which has been off the road for a few years, and I really want to get it sorted, but I'm having issues with the last few bits!

I need to replace the top yoke - I have a replacement.

Anyone fancy getting their hands oily for the odd weekend to give me a hand? There are beers up for grabs!

Cheers

2. Re: NC 30 - need help with final hurdle 
    Diamond Member
    top yolk should be really easy unless the ignition barrel is mounted with "security" type bolts that you cant undo! youll have to machine them out and use standard allen bolts to put it back in with...
    the forks wont move if youre just undoing the top yolk bolts, and the head bearings wont need disturbing either...

nice easy job :-)

3. Re: NC 30 - need help with final hurdle 
    It's always easy if you are not the one doing it! ;D ;D

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

4. Re: NC 30 - need help with final hurdle 
    Platinum Member
    Wherabouts you to, Robbo??

5. Re: NC 30 - need help with final hurdle 
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnydangerous
    top yolk should be really easy unless the ignition barrel is mounted with "security" type bolts that you cant undo! youll have to machine them out and use standard allen bolts to put it back in with...
    Or alternatively use the correct security bit to undo them? Makes things much simpler.

Though I don't know what bolts they use so can't advise on the exact tool required. And as a little word of warning I'd imagine that they will be locktighted in as well so go careful rounding the heads. I find it easier to hold the top yoke in a vice to stop it moving and allow you to apply the required torque.

the forks wont move if youre just undoing the top yolk bolts, and the head bearings wont need disturbing either...
    A little tip, raise the front end off the ground when removing and refitting the yoke as with the weight of the bike on the front forks just mounted on the bottom yoke can move them ever so slightly that it becomes difficult to impossible to remove or remount the yoke.

6. Re: NC 30 - need help with final hurdle 
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter
    [quote author=jonnydangerous link=1315573132/1#1 date=1315573995]top yolk should be really easy unless the ignition barrel is mounted with "security" type bolts that you cant undo! youll have to machine them out and use standard allen bolts to put it back in with...
    Or alternatively use the correct security bit to undo them? Makes things much simpler.

Though I don't know what bolts they use so can't advise on the exact tool required. And as a little word of warning I'd imagine that they will be locktighted in as well so go careful rounding the heads. I find it easier to hold the top yoke in a vice to stop it moving and allow you to apply the required torque.

A little tip, raise the front end off the ground when removing and refitting the yoke as with the weight of the bike on the front forks just mounted on the bottom yoke can move them ever so slightly that it becomes difficult to impossible to remove or remount the yoke.[/quote]

i learnt that lesson took top yokes off and it all shifted....took me hours to get the stem to align again....had to get the missus to wiggle front end around so i could get it all in place

7. Re: NC 30 - need help with final hurdle 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NiteW4tcher
    [quote author=squirrel_hunter link=1315573132/4#4 date=1315599837][quote author=jonnydangerous link=1315573132/1#1 date=1315573995]top yolk should be really easy unless the ignition barrel is mounted with "security" type bolts that you cant undo! youll have to machine them out and use standard allen bolts to put it back in with...

A little tip, raise the front end off the ground when removing and refitting the yoke as with the weight of the bike on the front forks just mounted on the bottom yoke can move them ever so slightly that it becomes difficult to impossible to remove or remount the yoke.[/quote]

i learnt that lesson took top yokes off and it all shifted....took me hours to get the stem to align again....had to get the missus to wiggle front end around so i could get it all in place[/quote]

Try to stay on subject please, we have no need to know about your bedroom activities... ;D

8. Re: NC 30 - need help with final hurdle 
    Quote Originally Posted by 470four
    [quote author=NiteW4tcher link=1315573132/5#5 date=1315601113][quote author=squirrel_hunter link=1315573132/4#4 date=1315599837][quote author=jonnydangerous link=1315573132/1#1 date=1315573995]top yolk should be really easy unless the ignition barrel is mounted with "security" type bolts that you cant undo! youll have to machine them out and use standard allen bolts to put it back in with...

;D ill try ;D

i learnt that lesson took top yokes off and it all shifted....took me hours to get the stem to align again....had to get the missus to wiggle front end around so i could get it all in place[/quote]

Try to stay on subject please, we have no need to know about your bedroom activities... ;D
    [/quote]

9. Re: NC 30 - need help with final hurdle 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NiteW4tcher
    [quote author=470four link=1315573132/6#6 date=1315601404][quote author=NiteW4tcher link=1315573132/5#5 date=1315601113][quote author=squirrel_hunter link=1315573132/4#4 date=1315599837][quote author=jonnydangerous link=1315573132/1#1 date=1315573995]top yolk should be really easy unless the ignition barrel is mounted with "security" type bolts that you cant undo! youll have to machine them out and use standard allen bolts to put it back in with...

;D ill try ;D

[/quote]
    [/quote]

LOL was that a "no comment"??

10. Re: NC 30 - need help with final hurdle 
    lol i was just reading it thinking where the hells my comment...................the comment WAS

i will try ;D