Notices

Thread: Poor Starting SP3

1. Poor Starting SP3 
    Hi guys,

since I got the replacement for my SP3 , the 2nd hand ones been a bit of a pain. I sometimes find it a bugger to start after either refuelling or stopping for a short time and starting her up.

If it doesn't start first time I sometimes wheel it a little and it starts up , but more recently I had to bump start it down a hill as even on the flat it wouldn't get the momentum to start the bloody thing.

It has reset the trip clocks on a couple of occasions and I'm wondering does this sound like a buggered battery or a starter motor issue ? It doesn;t even make the sound like its trying to turn over, its almost like a half a$$ed attempt then it resets itself and refuses to budge.

I have it on charge on the optimate in the garage now and I'm due to go to Bedford on Thursday, so worried that it's going to cut out that I'm carrying jump leads with me.

Any advice from anyone who has experienced this before would be appreciated...

I am wondering if the triple engine needs more kick to start it than the old inline 4's I've ridden in the past have....

If it's something as simple as a new battery please let me know because I travel Thursday and can get it sorted tomorrow...

thanks guys

Lis'

2. Re: Poor Starting SP3 
    Could either be a battery on the way out or corrosion on a terminal.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

3. Re: Poor Starting SP3 
    Platinum Member
    The triples like a good solid battery for starting, or they will fry the sprag clutch.

Check voltage on battery with a multimeter engine off. Start and check again, should have gone upto around 14.5v? This will check charging system. Worth checking voltage on a charged battery, then removing battery and checking again after a few hours to see if it's gone down, to prove battery.

4. Re: Poor Starting SP3 
    You can also look at the lights. If battery is too low to start it should dim the lights while stationary. Apply all lights and while watching main light press the brake - if it dims it mean no good.
    Does this optimate got V meter on it? (never had one - newer will).
    If it does plug it to battery "only" and it will show you remaining power/Voltage. If this will be lower than (let's say - no electrician background) 9V - it will be battery capacity reduced = replace battery.

How old is battery and how often do you ride it?

5. Re: Poor Starting SP3 
    Bikes sorted now thanks , took it to Performance Triumph in Swindon who checked the bikes battery, the power from the bike , checked for loose connections , then cleaned up under the terminals.

The bikes ridden loads , turns out that the previous owner had put other accessories on and it had a bit of corrosion under the terminals... I've had it since July and put on 2000 plus miles in that time, including doing my bike instructors course and my advanced rider qual.

Anyways it got me to Cardington and back without fail and without failing to start once.

Thanks to the guys at performance triumph for the courtesy clean up of the terminals and check up at such short notice.... Much appreciated :-)