Notices

Thread: BMW K1100 LT poor starting problem

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. BMW K1100 LT poor starting problem 
    I have a 98 K1100LT with a starting problem. It will not fire at all with the choke on or accelerator opened. It will only fire on no. 1 and 2 cylinders for a few beats then stop. I then have to repeat this for about 7 or 8 times before no. 4 kicks in and then sometimes only when aided by keeping the starter going. It then stops when the accelerator is opened. When no. 3 kicks in eventually it will tick over but still unevenly for a short while, then runs evenly and only then can I accelerate. For the rest of the day it will run well and start ok. But the next morning it will be the same.

It has new plugs, new leads, can hear the pump, plugs the right colour, tappets checked, Wynn’s system cleaner put in tank. The symptoms rule out coils and hall effect sensor. I bought the bike with 16,500 miles on it. It now has 124,780. I have serviced it myself and it runs well apart from this starting problems. Can anybody help?

2. Re: BMW K1100 LT poor starting problem 
    Platinum Member
    This sounds exactly the same problem i have had previously on Bandits, it's how i knew the valve clearances needed doing, have you done them?

Doh, read it properly, yes you have. It's got to be something related to a cold engine though methinks.

3. Re: BMW K1100 LT poor starting problem 
    Snowy? :-?

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

4. Re: BMW K1100 LT poor starting problem 
    Try this page it's full of information. http://hrsbstaff.ednet.ns.ca/bvogel/...20Starting.pdf
    or http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech/cold-run-problems.shtml

From reading the above and other stuff on this forum http://www.ibmwr.org it would point to the Water temperature sensor not working and telling the computer that you have a hot engine not a cold one.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Arthur
    I have a 98 K1100LT with a starting problem. It will not fire at all with the choke on or accelerator opened. It will only fire on no. 1 and 2 cylinders for a few beats then stop. I then have to repeat this for about 7 or 8 times before no. 4 kicks in and then sometimes only when aided by keeping the starter going. It then stops when the accelerator is opened. When no. 3 kicks in eventually it will tick over but still unevenly for a short while, then runs evenly and only then can I accelerate. For the rest of the day it will run well and start ok. But the next morning it will be the same.

It has new plugs, new leads, can hear the pump, plugs the right colour, tappets checked, Wynn’s system cleaner put in tank. The symptoms rule out coils and hall effect sensor. I bought the bike with 16,500 miles on it. It now has 124,780. I have serviced it myself and it runs well apart from this starting problems. Can anybody help?

5. Re: BMW K1100 LT poor starting problem 
    Diamond Member
    When did you last change the fuel filter?

Best website for everything K11 wise:

www.k11og.org

6. Re: BMW K1100 LT poor starting problem 
    Banned
    If it had been a carb bike i was thinking float bowl valves letting the motor flood overnight, but it isn't, so it wont be!

7. Re: BMW K1100 LT poor starting problem 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kn
    Try this page it's full of information. http://hrsbstaff.ednet.ns.ca/bvogel/...20Starting.pdf
    or http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech/cold-run-problems.shtml

From reading the above and other stuff on this forum http://www.ibmwr.org it would point to the Water temperature sensor not working and telling the computer that you have a hot engine not a cold one.

[quote author=Big_Arthur link=1305478806/0#0 date=1305478806]I have a 98 K1100LT with a starting problem. It will not fire at all with the choke on or accelerator opened. It will only fire on no. 1 and 2 cylinders for a few beats then stop. I then have to repeat this for about 7 or 8 times before no. 4 kicks in and then sometimes only when aided by keeping the starter going. It then stops when the accelerator is opened. When no. 3 kicks in eventually it will tick over but still unevenly for a short while, then runs evenly and only then can I accelerate. For the rest of the day it will run well and start ok. But the next morning it will be the same.

[/quote]

Would be relevent? Sounds to be running far too rich, hence wont start on choke etc? When did you last change the air filter?

8. Re: BMW K1100 LT poor starting problem 
    I'd agree with 470 that it sounds like runing rich. Suspect a sticking float in the carb.

The other one i have had is a broken choke linkage between the carbs.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

9. Re: BMW K1100 LT poor starting problem 
    Diamond Member
    I have the BMW manual at home and will dig out the part number for the temperature sensor which lives underneath the water pump at the front of the engine There are two brass bolts there, the front one from memory is the drain for the pump, the one behind is the sensor which outputs the temperature to the motronic ecu. This one will also drain from the radiator side of the coolant system.

There's no "choke" as its fuel injection - the lever on the LH side is purely throttle advance.

The hall effect sensor would cut the engine if its hot not cold so it won't be that. Have you looked at the plugs straight after it won't fire up and before it does run properly?

I notice you are now on the K11 forum - had any feedback yet?

10. Re: BMW K1100 LT poor starting problem 
    Platinum Member
    Snowy - by "throttle advance" do you mean like a throttle preloader so it will tick over 'hands off' so-to-speak?

many years back a friend of mine had terrible problems with her Z650 after its Winter layup - it would start without choke, then die when it got hot?!

After Much Bafflement we decided to have a look at the carbs... in the airbox, taking up much of the top of the filter was a now-empty mice nest...