Notices

Thread: Help! Might need a bike trailer....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: Help! Might need a bike trailer.... 
    Quote Originally Posted by lunalupi

Splash, I could only bump start my CG downhill, I wouldn't know how to start with the CBR!
    All you need is a bit of speed and weight to pump the bike down - But that doesn't matter - you've got it going, nice work! 8-)
    '12 NC700X

2. Re: Help! Might need a bike trailer.... 
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    As it was a bit cold last night and it didn't want to start, but did later after it had warmed up, it could be the first signs that your battery is starting to get past its best - I had the same problem with a car years ago, refused to start at 05.40 before early shift on a frosty morning, made me late for work > when I went to it in the afternoon sun it fired up immediately. Following that I parked on a hill so bump-starting was an option if it played up again (which it did) : A new battery sorted it completely...
    Agreed. I've had this with the GS. I'd also check the air filter. I found cleaning it made a big difference to the cold start.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

3. Re: Help! Might need a bike trailer.... 
    Almost sure to be the battery. Alarms, short journeys, cold weather constantly running with lights all take their toll on a battery at this time of year. Before consigning it to the bin put it on a smart charger for 24hrs. Test the voltage at the battery no load should be 12.6V if fully charged. Much less than this then change the battery and keep it topped up weekly

4. Re: Help! Might need a bike trailer.... 
    I think I'll have to get a new battery, he sulked again after work today. I've noticed if I don't catch him and get the revs up on the first go he then won't start unless you give him 5 minutes - a bit like me in the morning hitting the snooze button ;D

Is it worth fitting new spark plugs too? He's restricted if it makes any difference....
    100 Japanese horses now unmuzzled! Derestricted hooliganism has commenced...

5. Re: Help! Might need a bike trailer.... 
    Platinum Member
    When were the plugs last changed? It may well be worth getting a slightly more powerful battery if you're changing anyway. Aprilia owners are recommended to fit 14Ah instead of a 12Ah, not sure what Honda fitted as stock though.

Let me know the year of the bike and I'll do a quote for plugs and a battery if you like. Will be stocking CTEK battery tenders in the new year as well if you're in the market for one.
    www.shinybikesyndrome.co.uk - Protection through innovation

6. Re: Help! Might need a bike trailer.... 
    Check the fuel filter Nic, Sounds like exactly the same symptoms as I had recently on my CBR, Colin (greenman) found the fuel filter was blocked, starving the engine of fuel.
    My bike now starts and runs beautifully!
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'

7. Re: Help! Might need a bike trailer.... 
    Just give me a shout if your still getting problems
    If it has a red line use it ....

8. Re: Help! Might need a bike trailer.... 
    He's running beautifully as long as he's not too cold, and i give him a bit of throttle as he fires up - no issues once he's going which makes me think the fuel filter can't be at fault.

Will change the plugs and look at a new battery - will plug him into my charger for a bit first. He's not going out at the moment as I've got a nasty cold so am using the car instead.
    100 Japanese horses now unmuzzled! Derestricted hooliganism has commenced...

9. Re: Help! Might need a bike trailer.... 
    try a can of easy start(i dont mean the whole can,but just a spray)on the air filters

10. Re: Help! Might need a bike trailer.... 
    More likely air filter than fuel filter. Either that or you just have to find the throttle / choke combi that works at lower temperatures. It's restricted, this will alter the carburation.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"