Notices

Thread: Chipping a bike

1. Chipping a bike 
    Banned
    Just read this

Performance Chips

Driving for a long time can really start to drain that wallet, as gas is rather expensive and bikes take up more than their fair share when pushed to their limits. The right performance chip can add up to 60 horsepower to a bike while also offering fuel savings of 4-7mpg, which adds up for the extensive traveler.

http://ridersrest.eu/hidlights.aspx

Is it possible to chip a 2010 Honda CBF600???
    The CBR600RR has about 115BHP where as mine has about 75BHP from the same engine

2. Re: Chipping a bike 
    A chip add 60bhp? Bollocks.... Bike ECUs don't tend to run chips like those of cars (Japanese ones at least), they're more commonly re-mapped by the use of a Power Commander (or similar) It's highly unlikely that gaining this mythical 60bhp will come at the same time as an improvement in fuel economy.
    Whilst the 600RR might share the same base engine unit as your CBF (or is it an earlier CBR engine in yours?), it'll need more than this "re-chip" to make up 40bhp - the RR will have different pistons (for higher compression), bigger valves, different cams, exhaust, ECU, injectors and so on.
    If you want a considerably faster bike, the easiest route is to buy one. You could probably get a PC fitted to your bike and may get a little more power from some judicious mapping (and having the tits thrashed off it on a dynamometer to do so...) and a less restrictive exhaust would liberate a few horses too, but if you want more it may be easier to get a sportier bike in the first place, like one of the last CBR600F models for instance
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

3. Re: Chipping a bike 
    Banned
    Thanks for that was just a thought
    I'll wait till I upgrade to a Triumph one day

4. Re: Chipping a bike 
    Banned
    They are in France - Which I think is why the statement looks so rediculous, but France has a 100ish bhp limit on bikes, so anything that can better that in another country has to be restricted in one or more ways for the French market.

5. Re: Chipping a bike 
    It may well add 60bhp, but it will make the bike totally unrideable.

You don't want huge power increases but better power range and torque distrubution.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

6. Re: Chipping a bike 
    +60 bhp thats s1000 territory from my blade if only it was that easy

7. Re: Chipping a bike 
    Can of worms...... ;D

I mix red bull with my oil and the beast flys.....

Disclaimer needed lol

8. Re: Chipping a bike 
    It is an American company who claim the chip enhancements personally I wouldn't recommend it as a solution without going the whole hog and changing many other performance parts at the same time and by the time you have added up the costs you will have been better off buying a bike which has the performance you seek as standard. Unless you are just someone who likes to farkle... So I have amended the page to remove the part regarding performance chips.

It is possible to change the ecu and gain more power along with other benifits like fuel savings, smoother ride, on specific bikes. There is an after-market ECU (Stand-alone Stage I Performance ECU, the GT-RX Performance ECU) for the Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 which does just that, but most people who have used it also change the silencer and utilise performance air filters.

It is rare for a Power commander to increase Horse Power it is more likely to smooth out the delivery of the power which is already there caused by poor fueling to get through emition controls in the UK and EU. I run a PC3 on my 01 FJR for this purpose.

I also use a TuneBoy on my Rocket III which can do more than a Power Commander, I have been able to lift the restrictions imposed on the Rocket in 1st to 3rd gears where the fuel mapping and the secondry throttle boddies are prevented from working to their optimum, so by simply opening the throttle bodies fully in these gears and allowing more fuel through at the variying throttle positions this has given the bike more wind in the 1st 3 gears. I doubt though that it has given it any more power, it just feels like it has. Doing a cat bypass and using streight through pips though immediately added 26 bhp.

Ride Safe.