Today I took my bike for its MOT. No major issues although had to have a couple of new wheel bearings. However on the advisory note it said that the steering was 'notchy'? What do they mean by this, what could be the cause and is it relative easy to fix?

When I went to collect the bike there wasn't enough charge to start the bike and needed a boost to get started. The bike started fine this morning and I recently put the optimate on the battery about 10 days ago, although I do switch the alarm off to save charge. The alarm would have been on whilst at the garage and no doubt this is what caused the flat battery? Surely a few hours with the alarm on wouldn't drain the battery or should I be using the optimate more frequently? I'm not in a position to have the optimate on permanently. I stalled on the way home and the bike started first time straight away so it appears that the battery is taking a charge. The battery going flat has had a knock on effect in that the EML has illuminated. I've read this is not unusual and will reset after three runs. Is this true?

Lastly when I got the bike home and it was ticking over I noticed what appeared to be a tapping sound coming from the engine area. Does this indicate any issues with the engine or I am hearing this?

Any advice/ideas gratefully received.