Hi DD

the advisory note it said that the steering was 'notchy'?

Can't think of anything but the headstock bearings for this, more likely need replacing than adjusting. Unfortunately if the grease in there starts to go the races can start to corrode or wear goes through the outer plating. Hard wheelie landings can also work these rather hard

and is it relative easy to fix?

Depends on tools to hand, I have to change a set and will take the triple T to a shop to have the lower race pressed off and on by them. I'd hope a workshop would do the full job it in 1 - 2 hours perhaps.

When I went to collect the bike there wasn't enough charge to start the bike and needed a boost to get started.

I guess during MOT they may have had lights and stuff on while the engine wasn't running, poss starting it up a few times with the engine only running briefly each time

The alarm would have been on whilst at the garage and no doubt this is what caused the flat battery?

Unless they couldn't figure it out and it was going off all the time, shouldn't really hurt it, perhaps 3 or 4 weeks without charging or using the bike the alarm might take it's toll.

Surely a few hours with the alarm on wouldn't drain the battery or should I be using the optimate more frequently?

Quite, perhaps it's just how they did things on MOT, but I would be prepared to consider a new battery if it gives you trouble again. If you only run 10 or 15 min at a time on a short journey the battery might not recover the loss it's given to start it up. Not the best weather to take the very long route home in my book.

I'm not in a position to have the optimate on permanently. I stalled on the way home and the bike started first time straight away so it appears that the battery is taking a charge.

If you don't mind me asking are you using the bike regularly? If not I'd consider taking the battery off and indoors until you are, and having the optimate on it to keep it charged.

The battery going flat has had a knock on effect in that the EML has illuminated. I've read this is not unusual and will reset after three runs. Is this true?

Can't help u there, I know not triumph. Mikke might be able to advise or check, he has some great resources close by.

Lastly when I got the bike home and it was ticking over I noticed what appeared to be a tapping sound coming from the engine area. Does this indicate any issues with the engine or I am hearing this?

Again don't know the engine either, tappets perhaps, are they hydraulic?