Notices

Thread: Valve-check at 8k - is it worth it?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Re: Valve-check at 8k - is it worth it? 
    I will say it is better to do so. Yes it is expensive, but maybe better of finding someone and spending nice cold Sunday in the garage and DIY!!!.
    They advise it for a reason, what is next check due 30k???
    Same thing with first oil change done usually after 600-800 miles. Why ??? because you need to.
    Same thing with wheels = tire is changing shape due to use and might loose balance. No one does this, but we should.

2. Re: Valve-check at 8k - is it worth it? 
    Don't forget checking at home doesn't cost you anything but time taking some parts off and measuring, if they're out of tolerance then at least you'll know, if they're OK then again you'll now know. Don't forget to record your measurements if they're OK so you've got a reference for next time.Your second decision is whether to cough up and get the shims done at a dealers if they need doing, easy

3. Re: Valve-check at 8k - is it worth it? 
    Quote Originally Posted by jonperry64
    Thanks for the advice everyone. Sounds like I can get away with leaving it for a while and just doing the oil change. I'm not a competent mechanic - oil change is about my limit. So when I get the valves checked I will use someone other than HONDA. Can anyone recommend a decent mechanic not too far from Frome who is likely to have the right shims etc? Cheers. Jon
    If you havent had this done yet and are still looking i can recomend Parsons Motorcycles in Radstock. They have just done mine on the CBR whilst doing a cam chain replacement. Very good on price and friendly.

4. Re: Valve-check at 8k - is it worth it? 
    I have done mine 2 weeks ago. All exit valves were too tight. 28k
    Took me around 3h (first time job) to complete and re-used old gasket, with a bit of silicone.