Notices

Thread: Valve-check at 8k - is it worth it?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: Valve-check at 8k - is it worth it? 
    Thanks for the advice everyone. Sounds like I can get away with leaving it for a while and just doing the oil change. I'm not a competent mechanic - oil change is about my limit. So when I get the valves checked I will use someone other than HONDA. Can anyone recommend a decent mechanic not too far from Frome who is likely to have the right shims etc? Cheers. Jon

2. Re: Valve-check at 8k - is it worth it? 
    Diamond Member
    personally id get them done.....
    some engines are more prone to valve clearance issues due to the seat and valve material used (for instance Honda offroad bikes (CRF250/450) need the valves doing every thousand miles or so, and most new Husky's at least as often).
    theres a reason that the manufacturer has advertised an 8000 mile check, (this isnt a good advert for them as other manfr's are 26000 or more) they wouldnt advertise a bad point unless it was relevant.

up to you, do you like your bike?

3. Re: Valve-check at 8k - is it worth it? 
    Diamond Member
    Just to add, a bit of tappet noise is preferable to no noise at all which could indicate too small a clearance. This can lead to burnt valves and much worse. If your bike has fuel injection don't mistake the sound of the injectors for the tappets though

4. Re: Valve-check at 8k - is it worth it? 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnydangerous
    personally id get them done.....
    some engines are more prone to valve clearance issues due to the seat and valve material used (for instance Honda offroad bikes (CRF250/450) need the valves doing every thousand miles or so, and most new Husky's at least as often).
    theres a reason that the manufacturer has advertised an 8000 mile check, (this isnt a good advert for them as other manfr's are 26000 or more) they wouldnt advertise a bad point unless it was relevant.

up to you, do you like your bike?
    +1

As per my prevoius post, they will need checking after the engine had has its initial shakedown then will stay that way for years! Get it done and then You Know...

5. Re: Valve-check at 8k - is it worth it? 
    If this is the first check since new then it must be done. I check the GS every year and they never seem to change. TBH I send the Sv to a garage as the job is a pig and I can't be arsed.

I would stuick to the service sheet though.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

6. Re: Valve-check at 8k - is it worth it? 
    Forget it mate. Engines these days go on forever! Change the oil and enjoy the biker experience!!

7. Re: Valve-check at 8k - is it worth it? 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andybusa
    Forget it mate. Engines these days go on forever! Change the oil and enjoy the biker experience!!
    I think its safe to say modern engines will put up with a HUGE amount of wrongness without so much as a splutter, then we complain when they blow up?? :

Yeah, just ride it (straight into the ground...)dont bother changing your plugs either. Double your oil change mileages, dont bother ever changing the filters... :

8. Re: Valve-check at 8k - is it worth it? 
    8k valve check? Forget it.

9. Re: Valve-check at 8k - is it worth it? 
    definitely don't get it done. A waste of money. Wearing parts lead to greater clearances which lead to greater noise.........no noise - no problem!!

10. Re: Valve-check at 8k - is it worth it? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Andybusa
    definitely don't get it done. A waste of money. Wearing parts lead to greater clearances which lead to greater noise.........no noise - no problem!!
    Eh? You've just completely contradicted yourself there. Make your mind up, do you think that greater clearances (from these "worn" parts) is good, or no noise is good? :

Suggestion - if you don't know, don't advise.
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen