Notices

Thread: Valve-check at 8k - is it worth it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Valve-check at 8k - is it worth it? 
    Honda have quoted me £350 plus parts to do the 8000 mile service on my 2008 Transalp. The service includes a check on valve clearances. I would like to have the Honda stamp in the book but it seems a bit early for a valve check to me, and the price seems a lot for a sub 4k bike. I could just do a regular service and forget about the stamp in the book. Or would I regret it? What do others think?

2. Re: Valve-check at 8k - is it worth it? 
    Platinum Member
    Valve clearances will not only increase (noisy tappet clatter), they can also silently decrease - meaning the valve will stay open & burn out.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=bur...1t:429,r:5,s:0

Valve replacement is a head-off job and an even bigger /more expensive PITA than checking clearances!

Yes, expensive, yes, worthwhile.

3. Re: Valve-check at 8k - is it worth it? 
    Bet there's nowt to do though. After 50000 miles, my old CBR6 still didn't need the clearances doing.

It's out of manufacturers warranty now, so I'd get any dealer to do it, but skip the valve clearances. If I was buying a bike, I'd be looking for a decent dealers stamp, but not necessarily main dealer. Those motors go on forever with nearly zero maintenance. Ask any courier...
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

4. Re: Valve-check at 8k - is it worth it? 
    Personally I wouldn't bother, Just make sure you do all the other service items.(but I am skint) Spend your money on decent oil and filter,
    Only a slight chance it would need any adjustment, unless it sounds a bit tappy?

5. Re: Valve-check at 8k - is it worth it? 
    Or, do it yourself :-?

6. Re: Valve-check at 8k - is it worth it? 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltsdan
    Or, do it yourself :-?
    +1

Tappets are easy enough to do, shim&bucket adjustments more of a nightmare...

Most of the time charged for would be removing & refitting all the bodywork, tank, airbox, rear mudguard, tax disc etc, best to get the Haynes out & have a look.

Engines will need looking at right at the start of their lifes, when they wear in, and right at the end - high mileage, when they start to wear out.

Amazed at how many people are happy to change filters & oil etc but shy away from valve adjustments? Will need doing sooner or later...

7. Re: Valve-check at 8k - is it worth it? 
    Quote Originally Posted by 470four
    Amazed at how many people are happy to change filters & oil etc but shy away from valve adjustments? Will need doing sooner or later...
    Depends how easy the job is! I can change the oil and filter (or clean it in one case) on both bikes, but I can only adjust the valves on the CG - the CBR has me baffled with it's talk of shims....! :-?
    100 Japanese horses now unmuzzled! Derestricted hooliganism has commenced...

8. Re: Valve-check at 8k - is it worth it? 
    8000 Miles dont waste you cash get a check at 16000 [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    If it has a red line use it ....

9. Re: Valve-check at 8k - is it worth it? 
    Diamond Member
    On the Boxer I do them every 6K but then they are rather easy to get to ;D. Takes about 10 minutes each side but most of that is getting the rocker cover off. On the K bike its an every 32K check and I have not bothered to do those yet.

10. Re: Valve-check at 8k - is it worth it? 
    Most Likely they will not need adjustment so have a go at checking them yourself-just time and feeler guages. If they do need adjustment you can put the bike back together then decide where to spend you cash.